Register free!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

3pt vs skid steer Harley rake

So, my whole life/career I have run the Harley rake on the front of my skid steer. Well, this weekend I borrowed a friend of mines 3 point harley rake to run behind my JD 3203. HOLY COW!! I have been missing out all these years! Am I the only one that feels this way? I would guess that 19 out of every 20 harley rakes I see are skid steer mounted. I thought the 3 pt worked faster and left a smoother finished product than the skid steer mount. I'd love to know what everybody else thinks about the subject.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Did I post this in the wrong forum? I thought this would be a great conversation/debate starter.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I've used is a skid steer mount, that's all I know.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 3 pt hitch Harley is very easy to use. You just set the height, drop it, and go. You need much more skill to use it on a skid steer. As far as to which is better, if you have large open areas, the 3 pt. If you have odd shaped or smaller lots the skid steer.

Over all I would take the skid steer. It's more versatile.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting that you say skid steer for curves and slopes. I find it to be the opposite. I like the skid steer for wide open areas and the 3pt for everything else. I brought my skid steer rake home to do my yard and just could not get it the way I thought it should be. So I borrowed a 3pt rake and was shocked at how easy it was to use. Also liked that the dust was behind me. I have used that same 3pt rake on a couple of job sites this week and still feel that it is a superior tool. Another minor thing that I like is the fact that my tractor weighs significantly less than my skid steer so it is easier to tow to far away job sites.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never said "curves and slopes". I said "odd shapes and small lots". I am referring to areas around decks and other obstacles, where you can easily get in and out of, with a skid steer. Also, the skid steer can work forward or backward. The 3 pt only works forward.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All I've used is skid steer. It does just as good as guys with 3pt on lots beside me. With a cab the dust doesn't bother me too bad. But try running one with no front wheels, now that's a challenge!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never could see the point of a Harley rake But I guess that's all you have use what you got
I know I'll never own one to install lawns a tiller on a tractor does a better job
I use a 7ft Turf Shaper behind a tractor it leaves a smooth grade with a deep seed bed What is the depth a Harley rake leave maybe a 1'' (ones I seen being used) They was designed to bust clods

Tractor vs Skid steer I can see the tractor will be faster that's for sure
Old 09-14-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I never could see the point of a Harley rake But I guess that's all you have use what you got
I know I'll never own one to install lawns a tiller on a tractor does a better job
I use a 7ft Turf Shaper behind a tractor it leaves a smooth grade with a deep seed bed What is the depth a Harley rake leave maybe a 1'' (ones I seen being used) They was designed to bust clods

Tractor vs Skid steer I can see the tractor will be faster that's for sure
Harley rake being compared to a tiller??? 2 very different pieces of equipment. You obviously have never worked with one.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with you, Landscaper. I think that a tiller is entirely to deep. I'm sure that it prepares a great seed bed but entirely to soft to keep smooth after a mower rides across it, or a ride on spreader for that fact.