Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok. Worm - grub. Started really small. Now at least inch long. I have put enough product on this lawn to treat 6 lawns. I see dead crickets, dragon flies, etc....there still here. Very heavy grass, alot of thatch - should it to power raked (dethatched) and mowed short to what I see in my eyes to break the barrier b/t these little pest and the granular to get down there? Also the irrigation is down to 2 days a week - should we shut it off completely. I have never had an entire yard with grubs - at best a little spot and that was it.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Brown patches - looked..ton of little worms??

With it being so thatchy you might want to add a wetting agent to the mix to help it work its way down into the thatch/soil interface where the grubs are feeding. Then pound it with water.

Good luck,

John
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember any of the "thrins" as insecticides will not be effective. The thrins (synthetic pyrithroids) do not penetrate the soil more than a quarter inch. Not suitable for grubs--regardless of advertising claiming it works.
Grubs are hard to kill when they reach this size; dylox is the best bet. It must be watered in with about a half-inch of water to carry it down to the grub depth. Run the irrigation about an hour. Run irrigation also for a few minutes prior to application of dylox for best results. Use the maximum the label allows.

Next year use a grub control preventative about July 4th.