Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

New to this group but not Grounds care.

Hello all,

Mike here. I supervise the Grounds department for Denver Public Schools. We are a 84,000 student school district that performs almost all of our grounds maintenance in house. My background consist of Industrial electrical work and automation, military base electrical work and military facility maintenance supervision, and school district Grounds maintenance.

Here are some stats on our district:

-165 schools on 150+ sites (don't know the exact number we have grown a lot in the last 5 years)

-28 Grounds workers including the following: 3 paving techs, 2 landscape arboreal techs, 2 playground techs, 2 fencing techs, 1 heavy equipment mechanic, 1 small engine mechanic, 4 irrigation techs, 2 heavy equipment operators, 3 office staff (including me), 8 athletics field techs

-20.5 million square feet of irrigated sod

-15 million square feet of paved surfaces

-860K square feet of 10-15" deep play pits with EWF chips (engineered wood fiber fall material)

-Estimated 10k trees from 100+ year old state champion Oak trees to brand new plantings on an ongoing basis

-13 artificial turf fields 11 sports and 3 elementary fields

-Prep, grooming, repair, line painting, chalking, etc. for all high school and middle school athletics programs across district

-150+ sites work of chain link fencing that people just love to drive through on a constant basis

-49 snow routes (using additional work force from other trades in service building shops)

-And a bunch of other stuff just to make sure we are busy enough.

I'm no expert in any one of these disciplines but have gotten pretty good and the juggling and shuffling of resources to meet the ever increasing needs of "high preforming" schools and principals. The district grows, the athletics programs expand, the newer play equipment and sites require more maintenance than the old steel stuff did, yet the budgets and staff have been reduced.

I'm always open to new ways to streamline our processes and make it all happen. If you have questions shoot me a message.