Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
Terrible timer. Every single one I installed literally melted in the transformer within 2 years of install.
Thanks Tim, will avoid.

Steve, that timer looks pretty nice. Also curious about it's tolerance to heat. The 24 hour charge time is not a killer imo. Just have a few on a gang strip charging ready to go. Will the timer hold the program input from shop charge to job site? That would be a plus to pre-program. Plug and play.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jim, I just programmed a new Intermatic 620 yesterday. I'm pretty sure that I came across a setting that could be a certain minutes before or after dusk or dawn. So set Event 3 and Event 4 for your scenario.
Either I never noticed that before or they've added that setting on newer models, or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Steve. Can you tell us what type of battery backup is inside? Is it Alkaline, NiCad, NiMh, LiPo?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
CAST introduced a new Digital Astronomical Timer (CTDTC) several months ago. This is a recently developed model from Tork that has improved reliability (especially at extreme temperatures) over previous models.
Visit web page and watch video.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
That sounds pretty good Steve! A few questions / comments about that timer:
  1. I like the fact that it has a rechargeable battery. That's super cool. That's one thing that's been a PITA with the Intermatic one is that the little watch batteries go out over time and need to be replaced. That's cool that the backup battery stays charged as long as it's plugged in and then only comes in in a power outtage scenario.
  2. What's not cool about this timer is I have to plug it in 24 hours before I program it. That's annoying. I'm sure there are ways around that. Like programming it while it's plugged into the transformer. But how annoying is that?
  3. You say it has improved heat tolerance. That would be great. As I am suspecting that that is what is causing problems with the ones I'm using now.
  4. Where are the prongs located on the back of that unit? Near the top? Or Near the bottom? Because that makes a big difference. Ones with prongs on the bottom do not fit inside transformers that have the outlet near the top - i.e. Kichler Transformers.
  5. A scenario that often comes up with my customers is they want their lights to come on 1 hour before sunrise. But as you know, that time changes daily. You can't just tell the timer "come on at 6:00 and off at sunrise. Sunrise could be earlier than that some parts of the year. Other parts of the year, that might only come on 20 minutes before. So is it possible to create an on-event that is Sunrise Minus X?
  6. Where can I purchase these? Online would be preferable, as there are no dealers for CAST in the Portland area anymore. I'm sure if I started liking these more, I can get my main distributor to stock them for me. They'll usually bring in whatever I ask, as long as it's something I'm going to continue to buy. But to try a half dozen out, where could I buy them now?
  7. Is there an outlet on the bottom too? Or just on the left side?
  8. What's list price? (maybe PM me if that's not something you can post publicly.)

Thanks for your time. This looks interesting!
Answers to your questions:

Plug in timer overnight: I agree, not ideal - a quirk we have to live with.

Heat: Actually, we found more problems with extreme cold than with extreme heat with older timers. We tested these new timers in our chamber - cycling between both extremes - most other timers failed that test. We worked with the Tork engineers to ensure better reliability at sub-zero temps.

Receptacles: these are on top and left side of unit.

Turn on before sunset: Yes, it's called sunrise/sunset offset (see instructions)

Where to buy: check our online distributor search. If none are nearby, many will ship to you.

James, I'm checking on the battery type.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had issue with the dt620 of late...bad batch, though I've had good experience with them in the past. The issue was only if the timer was set to run dusk-to-dawn. It would turn off at midnight, and not turn back on until the following sunset. Quick fix was adding another start time of 12:01. It leaves a 1 minute gap at mid-night which isn't awesome, but good enough until you can get back with a replacement timer if you don't have one on the truck.

I've had good luck with the Tork timers I've used in the past. The rechargeable battery is a big plus. My main gripe is the smallish display and buttons. I'm still young, and my eyes are fine, but if the transformer is mounted at minimum height, it's hard to get down there and read that display. The 620's display is much better, as well as easier to program IMO. If I could make a request...would it kill you to put a backlight on the display? You know we do this stuff at night, right?
Andy Thomas CLVLT #1058 COLD #1321
Owner, Viewpoint Lighting
www.ViewpointLighting.com
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewpoint View Post
My main gripe is the smallish display and buttons. I'm still young, and my eyes are fine, but if the transformer is mounted at minimum height, it's hard to get down there and read that display. The 620's display is much better, as well as easier to program IMO. If I could make a request...would it kill you to put a backlight on the display? You know we do this stuff at night, right?

^^^^ This x 100

The tork button scheme and display need a complete overhaul. I honestly stopped using them for this reason alone. I also really like the roll dial on the 620. I have noticed something odd on the 620 lately. All of the "new" ones seem extremely twitchy until they are plugged in. When you put the battery in to begin programming them the interface seems to be real jumpy. That was never like that before about 6 months ago. At first I thought I had received a defective timer, but then realized it was happening everytime. Not sure if it means anything, but they changed something about this timer.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 620's also read a code when you first pull the plastic tab off the batteries. RN 105 or 106. Not sure what either of those mean. They are definitely twitchy, but the ones I have gotten as of late have been working fine, unlike those about 6 months ago.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com