Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TV advertizing contract signed

Well, I think I will be the first in my area to advertise on TV. I signed a year contract with a budget of $3500/month. It was a package deal that gave me 50% off when I signed up for a year. Instead of the normal $600/ 15 sec spot I am paying around $300. The production is being paid for by the tv station. I have adds running during each of the morning news segments, afternoon segments, The View, Jimmy Kimmel, and other premium shows. They will start airing in January which should give a couple of months of recognition before the busy season.

What do you guys think? Right now I have 3 trucks, 2 crews of 3, 2 trailers, and equipment to match. I do not mow! I do fert/squirt and landscaping from small to big. A few bigger landscaping jobs can pay for the whole year. I have the means to add another truck, crew, etc.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Sponsor

How much of your advertising budget was spent with this advertising decision. What if any actual numbers are available to determin a ROI?. Who is your target market based on the demographics of the viewing public?
easy-lift guy
Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is 40% of my budget for the year. The ROI numbers like any other ROI are projections that to me dont mean anything until the year is over. The demographics for this particular station and the spots I picked are 35 to 54 yo, 55% female 45% male, household income average is $90k where the average median for my city is $68k. I forget the term used but the same person will see my add approximately 8.6 times a month.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanks. TV advertising is one of the most expensive forms of advertising available, IMO. As you have stated projections for ROI are just that, was more curious what your own projections or goals might or could be.
At 40% of your advertising budget going towards this venture I hope the target market will respond positively and your business economy remain at least stable. I believe the term is frequency for the number of times viewers will see your add. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bet the the tv station is excited. Not going to be an ass yet. Would appreciate an update in a year or so..

How much revenue are you expecting to earn on this campaign?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

We ran a tv advertising campaign in 2010 and we broke even that season. The next season we were still getting business from those ads.

It was more of a long-term brand awareness move.

I think if your are sending a consistent message across all advertising mediums, you did your research and targeted the right spots, and your ad is well thought through you will see results.

Keep us updated!!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I dont expect a switch to be flipped and all the sudden to become the biggest company in Indy. The money expected from this venture is to obviously end up ahead of the game. $3500/mo is right at $42k and I am thinking that I can get at least $60k in revenue. I know that doesnt seem like a great ROI but that is a low number. This is something I am just trying out. It will be awhile before I can update you but I will. We start shooting in mid to late sept and they dont start running until Jan.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
Thanks, I dont expect a switch to be flipped and all the sudden to become the biggest company in Indy. The money expected from this venture is to obviously end up ahead of the game. $3500/mo is right at $42k and I am thinking that I can get at least $60k in revenue. I know that doesnt seem like a great ROI but that is a low number. This is something I am just trying out. It will be awhile before I can update you but I will. We start shooting in mid to late sept and they dont start running until Jan.

I love the idea but it seems kinda risky when you talk about ROI. The thing about it is that you would need an awesome call to action plan to maximize the potential of your 15sec sales advertisement. Do you happen to have an example of your 15sec ad? We need a demo man
Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not produced yet, but it will be on youtube when ready. The way I see it, all marketing is risky. I have plenty of work to keep what I have more than busy. This is arisk that I am willing to take to try and grow my brand. If it doesnt work it wont kill my business. I feel like I have more to gain than lose.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have only two crews but a 100k marketing budget? Am i reading this right???

Also generating 62k in revenue would likely be a negative ROI once you attribute your costs to complete that work. Your break even point will likely be significantly higher than 62k.

Maybe I read it wrong lol I am a little tired