Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Discussion about why we lose accounts

I want to start a discussion about why companies lose accounts. For me personally, I have always lost accounts due to being inconsistent. I luckily have never had someone cancel due to poor work, it was always due to not being there on a consistent basis. We are now going into the remaining part of the season. Over the winter I am determined to make the changes so that I can minimize this issue next season. It always hurt me personally when someone cancels. I take it to heart that I failed them. I know it's part if the business, and sometimes some customers just can't be pleased. This year I picked up alot of new accounts and over extended myself. I lost a good employee and didn't replace him. I instead tried finishing the season myself which has proven to be a bad call on my part. What's some reason you guys have lost accounts and what changes did you make to correct the problem?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

sometimes some customers just can't be pleased. Amen The End...
Posted via Mobile Device
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good communication and being consistent are more important than being good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its been a tough season to schedule due too all the rain. Im also way overbooked, and no way I can get tomarrows work done tomarrow.

Fortunately Ive only had a few complaints and haven't yet lost any.

Most of the accounts Ive lost over the years are one that weren't on my schedule. When I started "on call" was ok, I took what I could. Once I got full I couldn't come right away so they eventually quit calling.

Im gonna have too cut back too a 4 and 1/2 day week and spend more time on accounts.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry,
Over the last couple of months, I've noticed we have both commented on the same things and usually have the same opinions. I think we are in the same boat with the weather in the south.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Larry,
Over the last couple of months, I've noticed we have both commented on the same things and usually have the same opinions. I think we are in the same boat with the weather in the south.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems were at similar points in our businesses. This is the first year that Im actually looking forward to Winter.

Atleast were busy, a few years ago I wasn't sure if Id make it.

Next year Im going back to basics, no yards will be accepted that don't have irrigation, and some yards are gonna get replaced.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I think we are. What killed me and scared me was I had the business going so smoothly up until June when my helper left. Everything seemed to fall apart, I thought I could finish the season myself but now I wish I would have found a replacement ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I agree, I think we are. What killed me and scared me was I had the business going so smoothly up until June when my helper left. Everything seemed to fall apart, I thought I could finish the season myself but now I wish I would have found a replacement ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
I get to thinking of hiring a helper, but then I pinch myself and remember why I went in business for myself.

Id just adjust to a work load that your comfortable with. Keep the best accounts that have irrigation and are somewhat year round.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your right Larry, I just have this feeling in my mind that I would be going backwards. Although since my helper left I have made sooo much more money, even though its been really hard
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if I could get it back to a normal work load for one guy I would be much happier, and so would the customer. I'm having to skip stuff on properties just to get them all done, and even then I'm working Sundays...I have no life
Posted via Mobile Device