Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie Need Help

I own a few commercial properties and bought what I think is a pretty good pump and motor. We used it yesterday and it worked pretty well. I spent quite a bit of time mixing a 200 gallon tank that had about 100 gallons of material left over from about two months ago from the guy I bought it of. When it got the last 30 gallons or so I noticed that the remaining material was clumpy. I was wondering if I should remove this before I get more material or will this mix into the new material if I spend some time on it. I am getting the same material as the previous owner. I know that is should be diluted 1/3 water to 2/3 material (at least this is what I was told). Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you circulating it while your spraying? Have you added sand or a additive? Even raw sealer not mixed will be clumpy at the bottom if you dont circulate your material. The clays and other stuff in the sealcoat slowly separate as it sits.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of material and how are you mixing it?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

That's what is crazy. There is only one company in Pittsburgh that I can find that sells sealer by the gallon in bulk. They call is commercial asphalt sealer. I originally mixed it by hand with a garden hoe, then the pump I bought recirculates it back through the pipe that is inserted down into the 200 gallon tank. As mentioned it worked great until I got to towards the bottom of the tank. Now there is what looks like large clumps of tar on the bottom. I am wondering if I should clean these out of tank and start fresh for next job, or leave them in and try to mix it my hand better. I guess I need to know if these clumps will dissolve back into useable product if I mix it well enough. I know the product I am using is water soluble. Thanks for your responses.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I decided to clean out the tank today and start with all new material, to my surprise a lot of the clumps turned to liquid again. I added a little water and stirred it up with a scraper then did a half decent amount of an area of another car wash I own. Thanks for all your help.