Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs down Really bad experience with Husqvarna's customer service/warranty department

In April 2012, I bought a Husqvarna 7021P 21" push mower with the Honda GCV160 engine exclusively to do our kid's fenced in play yard (about 2,000 square feet, but a lot of obstacles such as playhouses, a swing set, some bird feeders, etc., thus the need for a light 21" push mower). I bought it at Ace True Value in Willard, OH for $269. They put a good homeower Honda engine with great double bearing wheels on a really flimsy steel deck. I had already cut with it at that point, but I couldn't believe how much the deck flexed over the slightest contour in the yard.

Fast forward to early July this year. I noticed the left front wheel was very wobbly, so I took a look underneath the deck. Sure enough, the deck had cracked in between the edge of the deck and the mount for the wheel bracket (which wasn't reinforced at all). I couldn't believe how short the distance was between these two points. I took it to my local Husqvarna dealer, Ostrander Implement in Ostrander, OH for a warranty repair (Husqvarna covers homeowners for two years on their walk-behind mowers). I received a call the next day stating that Husqvarna was going to replace the deck shell under warranty.

Several weeks went by and I still didn't have my mower back. It turns out that Husqvarna never sent the part. Another week passes and Husqvarna sent a small box with the right part number on the box but the wrong part in the box (it was the wheel mount, not the deck). At this point, I told the dealer that I have been without my mower for a month when they have the same one sitting in their showroom. They told me that if I had bought it there, they would just give me the new one and deal with Husqvarna later. The next day, the dealer calls and says that Husqvarna shipped the deck a week ago, but they sent it to one of their dealers in Minnesota. They said it would be another week before they could get the shell here. The dealer spent over an hour on the phone with Husqvarna and I spent a half hour myself as well with the aim of getting a new mower seeing as they have strung this out for six weeks already. The customer service rep relayed my complaint to somebody and told me to "call back if I hadn't hear anything in a week." What world do these people live in if they think that it's OK for a warranty repair for a mower that is currently in production (i.e. parts are readily available) to take six weeks? I still haven't heard anything back from Husqvarna's customer service department.

Finally, my dealer calls today and says that my mower is complete. I went to pick it up and asked to speak with the owner, who happened to be in. I told him that I would never buy another Husqvarna product and that I would also never be returning to his dealership for sales or service because of the way that my warranty claim was handled. He turned defensive and said that it wasn't fair to blame him because it was Husqvarna's fault each of the three times they screwed up. I explained to him that he needs to talk to somebody at Husqvarna who gives a rat's behind (perhaps a territory sales rep if those exist at Husqvarna) and ask Husqvarna why they are providing their dealers with that level of service. Husqvarna apparently has too many customers since they can't seem to even return a phone call to let me know what is going on or even apologize for their series of careless mistakes. Besides, we are talking about a sub-$300 mower that was sitting on the showroom floor, that could have just been replaced and a customer would have been retained.

When I replace my commercial handhelds, you can rest assured that they won't be Husqvarna units! It's a shame because I'm a big fan of the 223L and 323L trimmers and Husqvarna chain saws are absolutely legendary. I just couldn't imagine having to go without a commercial piece of equipment that I use for my business for six weeks. That's a long time to run on backup equipment in my opinion. I guess I shouldn't expect much from Husqvarna once they started selling their products in Sears (they make a lot of the Craftsman mowers). It's a race to the bottom for them now, but I'm not going to be a part of it. Rant, off!

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I can understand your situation and how upset you are at what happened. It does sound like the dealer was doing the best they could anf sounds like they kept you informed. I would be upset with HUSKAVARNA but the dealer I would not .I could be wrong but thats what im felling with tjis situation. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I was polite and professional with both the dealer and Husqvarna, but I felt that the dealer could have a.) Given me the new mower from the showroom (he stated he would have done that anyway had I bought it from there originally because Husqvarna would square up with him), or b.) He should have used his pull as one of the bigger Husqvarna dealers in central Ohio to speak to somebody higher up at Husqvarna to let them know that they are offering a poor level of support to not only their dealers, but to the end users as well. If I was a manager at Husqvarna, you can bet that I would want to know why it took six weeks to send an in-production 21" mower deck to one of my own dealers.

I understand your position though, I just feel like they needed to lose me as a customer if they can't work with their supplier or sales rep to solve a very easy problem. When enough Husqvarna customers experience their stall-and-ignore approach to warranty customer service, the market will fix that crap real quick.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I could be wrong, But I think the retailer and Husqvarna were both the "middle man" on that deal. Call them with an issue on a BT580 or a 400+ dollar saw and see what happens.
Kind of like if I called Toro about my "Toro" power head haha. My local equip dealer can't get parts for it and they sell Toro. Its because its really a 180$ homelite pole saw and I knew that when I bought it.
I'd be pretty pissed my self had I been through the same thing. There is no shortage of good equipment manufactures out there. You can completely write off a company and still have great selection.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

As another dealer all I can say is please don't blame your dealer, from what I read your dealer was doing everything he could do and more then most would of done for a unit not purchased from them.
Husqvarna has some major issues to work out with there parts and warranty department, I have had some of the same things you discribed happen to us, wrong part in box, shipped to wrong place, we had the wrong part shipped to us 3X before they got it right, and countless backorders. I will also add he has lost money doing this warranty repair for you, they don't pay the dealer for time spent on the phone and don't pay what a normal customer does for the repair. How could you expect him to loose even more by giving you a new mower when you didn't buy the original unit from him?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Angry

Also as a Husqvarna dealer. I have had several problems this year with their smaller zero turns. I have had to do a couple "buy backs" situations only because we try to make our customers TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY. That dealer kept you informed and took care of your unit you bought from a dealer that provided no service. It totally sucks when you take on another dealer's warranty cause he got the good end of the deal. He sold the product, prolly sales the accesories and fast moving parts and makes all the profit without catching all the crap from the customer when things go wrong. I feel you were totally out of line for giving the servicing dealer crap, I have had the same situation happen to me several times. Got the wrong parts, parts didn't ship, parts were damaged upon arrival, etc. etc..... Husqvarna has dealer and customer service issues. Which really sucks. But it was not the dealers fault that he wasn't able to perform as he usually does under normal circumstances. If you would of bought from a servicing dealer, everything would of worked in your favor cause good dealers take care of their customers. and it's a givin' that he lost money on your claim. Cause like LazerX said, all the time on the phone with HUS and paper work and actual shop time, the dealer doesn't get paid like they should.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I can partly see where you guys are coming from, but if Husqvarna is this bad about shipping their warranty parts, then their dealers need to see the impact of Husqvarna's poor customer service practices if Husqvarna isn't going to listen to the customers themselves. I was polite with my dealer, but I explained that if Husqvarna gave me this level of support on a $269 push mower, how hard are they going to push back if I buy a zero turn and it conks out? Why would I pay for a warranty (yes, it's built into the price of the product) if it takes a major chunk of the growing season to get it fixed when the part is sitting in the parent company's warehouse a couple of states away? If I was the owner of this dealership, I would be having a serious conversation with somebody at Husqvarna. I would let them know that their nonchalant attitude just cost me a customer. I would want a reassurance that this isn't going to happen again, but apparently Husqvarna and this dealer don't have that type of relationship, because he doesn't even know who the local sales rep is.

Anybody can sell equipment; Home Depot and Lowe's do it all day long. It's the ability to solve problems and get your customers' equipment back to them in a reasonable amount of time that makes a place that sells equipment a dealership.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't buy it there, your not his customer. Why would you expect a new one? Just think of this, he has paid his worker for your repair and you have your mower back. Now he has to make a warranty claim and get a flat rate for the work that was completed and handle all the paper work for a purchase made at ace hardware. With all the push mowers you have this shouldn't of been a problem for you, unless you are using it commercially.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I wasn't using it commercially, and I do have plenty of other push mowers I could have used. It's the principle that a Husqvarna dealer doesn't have enough clout with the parent company to fix a simple push mower in less than six weeks with a part that is readily available on a repair that was already authorized. If you're only going to service or replace equipment that is purchased at that individual store, don't call yourself a dealer; you're just a guy selling equipment.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

All I was trying to get threw to you is be Pissed at Husqvarna. Never buy another Husqvarna product again!
Be Mad at the place that sold you the mower and didn't raise a finger to help, but the Dealer that stepped up took it in and tried to help you should be thanked not run threw the mud. Husqvarna has alot of parts and service issues right now most dealers know this and have voiced there opinions, thats why we don't stock there PZ, P-ZT, or MZ's units, until they can give the parts and service the commercial and high end customers need, but if we where a single line dealer we couldn't do this.