Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 AM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I see your from MI also. We have had so much thatch build up this year its been insane. Start looking at the surrounding lawns and you will notice brown thatch everywhere. I have not had a week where I cut off less than 3 inches of growth on every lawn I mow. Some lawns its been closer to 5 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not too convinced that's an issue since all my lawns get bagged every week all year lawn so there should be almost no thatch buildup..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierlawncaremi View Post
I am not too convinced that's an issue since all my lawns get bagged every week all year lawn so there should be almost no thatch buildup..
Posted via Mobile Device
Thatch does NOT come from mulching or side discharging unless a thatch problem already exists in the lawn, and even then it is nowhere near the main cause of thatch buildup.

Here's some good reading for anyone interested in it-

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...tsheets/thatch
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Thatch does NOT come from mulching or side discharging unless a thatch problem already exists in the lawn, and even then it is nowhere near the main cause of thatch buildup.

Here's some good reading for anyone interested in it-

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...tsheets/thatch
Aggressive fertilization. Thatch can accumulate quickly following aggressive nitrogen fertilizer programs. Nitrogen promotes thatch development because it increases production of root and stem tissues. The ability of some nitrogen sources to acidify soils also may reduce the rate of thatch breakdown.


good ground+lots of water+plus optium growth tempeture=the issues above(increased production of root and stem tissues. if he bags then this should not be his issues anyways
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierlawncaremi View Post
I am not too convinced that's an issue since all my lawns get bagged every week all year lawn so there should be almost no thatch buildup..
Posted via Mobile Device
question, did you guys have lots of dead grass from last year? we did. Your grass should be green, not brown.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
question, did you guys have lots of dead grass from last year? we did. Your grass should be green, not brown.
Yes we did have a very dry summer last year but our grass this year is green for the most part not brown..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierlawncaremi View Post
Yes we did have a very dry summer last year but our grass this year is green for the most part not brown..
Posted via Mobile Device
right, but in the second pic I see brown grass mixed with the green. cutting does not turn the grass colors
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
right, but in the second pic I see brown grass mixed with the green. cutting does not turn the grass colors
What you are seeing is just that particular property it has no irrigation and yes dry spots but that has nothing to do with my cutting issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierlawncaremi View Post
What you are seeing is just that particular property it has no irrigation and yes dry spots but that has nothing to do with my cutting issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
ok lets talk basics here. Brown comes from either dead or dominant/unhealthy grass/ or thatch. If its a perfect lawn you should not have brown roots. Well you don't have thatch so its comes down to cut/brown roots. Are you level? same tire pressure on both sides? nothing is sagging? When you take a rake and pull the grass back is it all level? Are you just bending the grass down because of a low roller and making it look like an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
ok lets talk basics here. Brown comes from either dead or dominant/unhealthy grass/ or thatch. If its a perfect lawn you should not have brown roots. Well you don't have thatch so its comes down to cut/brown roots. Are you level? same tire pressure on both sides? nothing is sagging? When you take a rake and pull the grass back is it all level? Are you just bending the grass down because of a low roller and making it look like an issue?
Trust me when I say this..all basics HAVE been covered. Everything you just mentioned has been checked multiple times. I can adjust that side of the deck almost a half inch higher than the other side and still have the brown strip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Aggressive fertilization. Thatch can accumulate quickly following aggressive nitrogen fertilizer programs. Nitrogen promotes thatch development because it increases production of root and stem tissues. The ability of some nitrogen sources to acidify soils also may reduce the rate of thatch breakdown.


good ground+lots of water+plus optium growth tempeture=the issues above(increased production of root and stem tissues. if he bags then this should not be his issues anyways
Yea, I realize that. I was just pointing it out since he made mention that he bags to avoid creating thatch, which side discharging won't do in and of itself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.08470 seconds with 8 queries