Kohler efi air cooled 8 19.51%
Kawasaki efi liquid cooled 9 21.95%
Kawasaki carbureted liquid cooled 2 4.88%
Cat diesel 8 19.51%
Briggs vanguard big block air cooled 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best engine on a new scag turf tiger?

I am looking at a new turf tiger for next year and can't decide on which engine. I am currently demoing a 61" with the fuel injected kawasaki. Please post your reasoning for your choice in the poll. If you want to talk about another mower being better don't waste your time.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best engine on a new scag turf tiger?

My cousin has a older turf tiger with a 29hp dfi kawasaki liquid cooled. And it has 2800 hours on it. He loves it and uses it every day

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I had the Kawi EFI on my first turf tiger. I liked it and was very good on fuel, but seemed underpowered with a bagger system on it. My next Turf Tiger had the Kohler efi liquid cooled which leaked coolant constantly, I was on like my third engine that kept getting replaced under warranty. I demoed the Briggs liked the power alot but it was a pig on gas. I currently have the Cat Diesel. I like the power, sips fuel but it is heavy and has a price tag on it.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach14604 View Post
I had the Kawi EFI on my first turf tiger. I liked it and was very good on fuel, but seemed underpowered with a bagger system on it. My next Turf Tiger had the Kohler efi liquid cooled which leaked coolant constantly, I was on like my third engine that kept getting replaced under warranty. I demoed the Briggs liked the power alot but it was a pig on gas. I currently have the Cat Diesel. I like the power, sips fuel but it is heavy and has a price tag on it.
I would like to demo the diesel. I am a huge fan of diesel power. Can you notice the extra weight in comparison to the kawasaki motor ?
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Redmax 8500
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own the Kohler 29 EFI and the Briggs 35. The Kohler 29's sip fuel - between 1.0 and 1.2 gph when I checked in late spring and I have had readings as low as 0.9. 95% of the time it has more than enough power but if the grass is really heavy, it does bog. In my opinion, I would not run a catcher on a 29. I'd say it's underpowered for that task. It's been a great engine for everyday mowing and runs all day easily on a tank of fuel. As for the 35, when I checked fuel consumption in the spring at around 100 hours, she was burning between 1.8 and 2.0 gph. You'd almost be empty at lunch. Here in the later part of summer, I've been measuring fuel usage on the 35 again and the results have been much better. With the thinner grass of summer and running standard lift blades, I've gotten a reading of 1.63 gph over the last 34 hours. I've had readings as low as 1.53 in the summer. In the spring, I've had readings as high as 2.4gph.

Which engine to choose really does depend on the end user and their needs. If all you'll do is mow, I'd go with the 29 EFI Kohler. But if you're planning on bagging, you'll want the 35. Both the 29 EFI and the Briggs have been outstanding for me and I would recommend both.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I am currently demoing a kawasaki efi, I have about 10 acres to mow today. I filled to the brim yesterday and wrote down the hours. We shall see how much it uses per hour running wide open. Do you feel like liquid cooled is necessary for longevity?
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Redmax 8500
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileylawnservice View Post
Thanks I am currently demoing a kawasaki efi, I have about 10 acres to mow today. I filled to the brim yesterday and wrote down the hours. We shall see how much it uses per hour running wide open. Do you feel like liquid cooled is necessary for longevity?
In theory, liquid cooled is supposed to provide longevity but I've seen 3800 hours on air cooled Kohlers and the rest of the machine looked completely worn out. I'm probably switching out of the machine before 2000 hours anyway. Personally, I have no interest in liquid cooled because 1. They're a lot more expensive and 2. I've always felt it was just another thing to have maintain and worry about - leaks, low levels, etc. The Kaw 29 DFI has a good reputation though, and I'm sure it'll be a great engine for you.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am just demoing it. I don't think I will be this demo it's a little beat up for 117 hours. I am just wondering if the increased fuel efficiency will pay for it
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Redmax 8500
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update on the demo, I mowed nearly 13 acres with it today, and since yesterday I have put about 6.5 hours on it. I filled it back up and came up with 1.33 gallons per hour. I like the motor, I just feel its too big for some of my smaller residential yards. Why so many votes for the Briggs?
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Redmax 8500
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

If you like the Kawasaki engine on the tiger cat 61" you might wanna hang onto it if you are in Tulsa. Smith Farm only has the Kolher engine and said it could be weeks before they can get the Kawi engine. Checked the other local dealers and none have the Kawasaki engine in stock.