Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rampant Weeds - What am I doing wrong?

Background - I have a customer that I acquired two years ago with 4000 sq. ft of beds. Weeds were 3 ft high at the time. I did the Round up treatment, weed whacked them down, raked them out, mulched, and then returned a year later. I never followed up with pre-em because the customer said they were going to keep up with things. Fast forward to this year. I return in April, weeds are better than the previous year but way more than I expected. So again treated with Round up, weed whacked down, raked, and then treated again with Round up for any small weeds I missed. I then mulched and this year I treated with Snap Shot at 5lbs/1000 sq. ft (from what I recall that's what the directions stated for the most agressive approach). It rained within a day so I had a good barrier. I sold the customer on a monthly weeding package moving forward. I decided to wait the month before I quoted since I had no idea what I was going to see. I returned in one month and I was COMPLETELY blown away by the amount of weeds I saw. Now this is the exact same treatment I've used on my own personal property and I'm completely weed free.

I returned this weekend and weeded the easy stuff with a worker. After 3 hours for each of us (6 man hours) we made it through about half of the property. I had about 6 full trash bags full of weeds. I decided to return today and spray the rest. There was just too much to pull.

What am I doing wrong? Wrong product? Wrong technique? Please help me figure this out.

This doesn't even show the worst part behind the gazebo. You might be able to see if you zoom in. The weeds next to the air conditioner are what took over the whole bed behind the gazebo.

Front bed -

Side bed -

Back yard - Zoom behind the gazebo

Other side bed -

Shrubs on far left side - weeds on middle walkway areas -

Thanks again!

Doug
Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not an expert but one of the weeds in nearly every picture looks like nutsedge. If so, you may have to use something else on that. Others will be able to help better than I.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you are not there every week caring for the grass? That would help you keep a better eye on things. Is there landscape fabric under the mulch? Most people here, including myself, do not like it at all. The worst of the weeds appears to be nutsedge (hard to tell), something you should be able to get on top of especially in beds.

Overall there is too much open space. Customer needs more plants. Chances are it is getting a lot of irrigation. That is an invitation for weeds in all that open space. It's a nice layout. Hopefully they will stick with you and you can get more aggressive with pre and post emergents.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Not an expert but one of the weeds in nearly every picture looks like nutsedge. If so, you may have to use something else on that. Others will be able to help better than I.
Well I think you hit the nail on the head. Most of the weed is nutsedge. I looked at several pics and that's exactly what it looks like! The stuff to the left and behind the gazebo must be more mature because it has the yellow flowering bud on it.

Now how to fix it??

Doug
Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Sounds like you are not there every week caring for the grass? That would help you keep a better eye on things. Is there landscape fabric under the mulch? Most people here, including myself, do not like it at all. The worst of the weeds appears to be nutsedge (hard to tell), something you should be able to get on top of especially in beds.

Overall there is too much open space. Customer needs more plants. Chances are it is getting a lot of irrigation. That is an invitation for weeds in all that open space. It's a nice layout. Hopefully they will stick with you and you can get more aggressive with pre and post emergents.

Nope I'm not there every week. They have some person who just cuts the lawn. And I agree if I was there I could keep an eye on things better. No weed fabric. And yes, too much open space. For the amount I charge for weedings, mulch, trimming, etc there hasn't been much left over for her to invest in shrubs/plants at this point. I just want to get things under control. It will make it much easier on both of us.

Doug
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Use Freehand instead of snapshot. Helps prevent Nutsedge.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, spray the nutsedge that is up with prosedge or sedgehammer
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doing some research on nutsedge and apparently it's like one of the top 20 worst weeds. Great!

Now I'm wondering if made a mistake hand weeding half the property? Maybe I would have done a better job by posting here first. Just when you think you have your weeding plans under control, you learn something new.

So sedgehammer first and then freehand pre-em should do a better job controlling this mess?

Doug
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure of your growing season there, but our nutsedge here shouldn't have much longer. You can put them down in whatever order you want. Just water in the Freehand and no water for 24 hours after the sedgehammer. With the Nutsedge that bad, it will probably take two apps of sedgehammer 14-21 days apart.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sedgehammer now (while weed is growing). Pre-emergent in Spring and more often if customer will go for it. In fact, I would just insist on it. It will not take many hours of hand weeding labor to offset the cost of using Freehand, which is a suggestion I agree with. It is a great tool.

Read up on over the top applications too with something containing fluazifop for grassy weeds in landscapes going forward. True, nutsedge is an awful problem in lawns but you should be able to get it under control in mulched beds.

Some of those plants could be divided and planted in other spots to help fill things out. Push the others a little with fertilizer. It is going to take a commitment from you and her both to turn this around.