Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Site

A friend of mine with a small start up design and marketing company made this for me this past March. Any reviews welcome.

www.picturelakelandscaping.com
Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PLL,

Take this critique from someone who isn't in the lawncare business but has done enough reading on SEO and inbound marketing to think he knows what he is talking about

On the about page, I would include a picture of you and some info about you. People like to know who they are doing business with and like to put a face with a company.

On the home page, I would inlcude the cities you serve as well as the keywords people might use to find you. So if I lived in Hamburg, NY and was wanting a quality company to mow my lawn, I might use Google search and type "lawn mowing Hamburg NY". If I was wanting landscaping services, I would probably type in "landscaping Hamburg NY." You get the idea. There are many other things that go into search engine rankings, but at minimum, you want to have your title tags and on page content optimized for local search. Some guys like Tony might be able to point you in a better direction as well.

If you have a commercial location, you'll want to include an address on the website for local search results. I would take away the free estimates part and just have your phone number and email in the top header (not burried at the bottom of the text on the home page).

I think the services page and portfolio pages are fine. Again, might want to optimize for search rankings though.

This appears to be a static website, meaning it will be hard to update copy as well as add a blog. If you have the budget or your friend has the ability, I'd switch to a wordpress template or something like squarespace so you can easily update the site as you need to. Like I said, I could be wrong on this.

Overall, I think the site looks fine. It just depends on what your goals are for the site. Are you looking to drive traffic through organic searches or is it just a placeholder so people who already know about you can find out more info?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsteroni View Post

I think the services page and portfolio pages are fine. Again, might want to optimize for search rankings though.

This appears to be a static website, meaning it will be hard to update copy as well as add a blog. If you have the budget or your friend has the ability, I'd switch to a wordpress template or something like squarespace so you can easily update the site as you need to. Like I said, I could be wrong on this.

Overall, I think the site looks fine. It just depends on what your goals are for the site. Are you looking to drive traffic through organic searches or is it just a placeholder so people who already know about you can find out more info?
A lot of this is in the plan for sure. What I've highlighted is the problem. Unsearchable. Even typing the web address in a search nothing shows except links to a facebook page and possibly this thread. This is my main concern. Will be working to get this fixed before spring arrives.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
A lot of this is in the plan for sure. What I've highlighted is the problem. Unsearchable. Even typing the web address in a search nothing shows except links to a facebook page and possibly this thread. This is my main concern. Will be working to get this fixed before spring arrives.
Yeah, I googled your name and location and all that came up was your facebook fan page. I'd look on here for a poster named tonygreek. He provides a lot of great info for free.

As a beginning learning tool, I'd check out Moz's Beginner's Guide to SEO. It is completely free and provides tons of useful info if you're trying to learn how to rank in the search engines.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
What I've highlighted is the problem. Unsearchable. Even typing the web address in a search nothing shows except links to a facebook page and possibly this thread. This is my main concern.
In addition to britsteroni's feedback, i'd also suggesting downloading google's seo guide.

But, back to your big issue, you're correct. Google/Bing/Yahoo don't know you exist, but that's an easy fix (and often quick).

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...andscaping.com

1. Add some localized content and optimize your TITLE tags (read the guides we mentioned)

2. Hit Google Webmaster Tools, add your site, verify it (you may need your web guy's help), upload an XML sitemap, and then do a "Fetch as Google", via the Crawl option, of each page's links. You can then have the option to submit them to the index.

3. Visit getlisted.org and see what off-site listings you can start claiming. For you, that would be all of them, so you'll want to select "I don't see my business" and you'll see a list of places to register. Google Places, Bing, Yahoo, SuperPages.com, etc.