Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your insurance company to see if you can be on someone's roof. Just incase you fall off make sure your covered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
That being said, could the homeowner also claim that the landscape irrigation was installed to maintain a fire safe buffer zone around the house?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, because it was never installed for that purpose.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Install them to "lower the temperature of the roof" to save power during the summer. No liability if the house burns from a wild fire and it sounds all green and tree hugerish.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is a fair concern if your state consumer laws allow homeowners to be completely over-hopeful about what rooftop sprinklers can accomplish, which is not rendering your home immune to wildfires.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

May not be all that healthy, either.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
No, because it was never installed for that purpose.
Guess somebody has never lived in Fire Country.

It is mandatory to maintain either a well saturated living landscaped. fire resistant landscape(native CA desert plants) or clear areas. Not only its done for aesthetic reason, its also done for safety reasons.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We are looking at installing fire sprinklers around the perimeter of a property which backs onto bushland. It will be run off a fire pump with the suction line being thrown into the pool. My supplier does the design and we install it. There will be a bit of education involved with showing them what to do in the event of a fire. It's pretty big in some parts of the country especially Victoria where it was badly affected by fires a few years back.

The sprinklers are not designed to stop a raging bushfire, but will stop embers from catching alight. A few houses were lost in Sydney in fires just this week due to a lack of rain recently and unseasonably hot weather mixed with strong winds.

This is what happened in Victoria in 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done it for green roofs, the first time was pretty funny. I met the guys at the job and they saw there was already sprinklers. You should have seen the look on their face when I told them where the sprinklers were going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

But have any of you that replied, actually installed any? Lots of speculation, assumptions, and preemptive advice, but no advice from anyone that has installed them. I appreciate the concerns, but I am just now researching it and haven't made a decision yet.

Not worried about the liability as Jim said, as I am liable for flooding on probably every single system I touch anyway.

Not worried about the moss and growth on rooftops, as this would be used in an emergency situation ONLY. Plus, we don't get growth on rooftops here. We have minimal humidity, and other than right at this moment, minimal rain. I know what it looks like in more humid climates of OR, WA, MA etc. But we just don't get that here.

A local firefighter created this product/system earlier this summer after our Black Forest Fire http://househydrant.com/ They do a good job on the website to not show how it actually works or is set up.

Still flooding like a mofo here. Our average precip for the year is about 16"-17" total. South part of town over Fort Carson army base has seen 10"+ in just a few hours. Probably 4"-6" at my place. Boulder/Longmont/Lyons/Estes Park are absolutely screwed right now. Many folks are isolated as roads in and out are washed away. Big Thompson flood in that area in 1976 killed 140+ people. Only 3 statewide at the moment. Of course, no sprinkler work right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
May not be all that healthy, either.

Hey how did you get a picture of my camp shed....
Posted via Mobile Device