Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

If you were looking at getting a dozer

If you were looking at getting a d5g sized dozer what would you get? Cat, Deere case? I in the market for something with a 6 way blade. Also I'm would you go with lgp or xl tracks?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you were looking at getting a dozer

I'd go with the brand with the best dealer support that was the closest to me.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of work do you plan to do with it? Lgp is for wet conditions or where you need optimal floatation, xl is better for pushing and work areas where you don't need floatation ie- spreading stone on parking lots, roads etc. Cat and deere both make excellent machines
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I plan on using its along with my 953c on building lots. I need something for when we build driveways to cut ditches and such. Also for spreading dirt on building pads and stone also. There just isn't a lot of xl's in this area. But most of our work is in red clay or some what rocky. All the equpment dealers around here have lgp's but not many low hour xl's. I would like something under 3000 hrs with erop's.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In hard ground, LGP's struggle to put traction to the ground. I know what you're thinking, wider pads = more traction. Not quite. You want a narrow shoe for traction. There is a lot of confusion between width and traction. Simple rule to follow - LGP for flotation in soft conditions, XL for everything else (rock, general grading, etc.). Rock and hard ground will EAT an LGP undercarriage very quickly, seen it happen. The width combined with leverage against the chains while traveling over rough ground will put you in the shop much faster for an undercarriage than an XL. Unless you're running in muck quite a bit, I would highly advise against an LGP undercarriage as the operating costs, even in favorable conditions, is higher.

As far as brands go, the best dealer wins. However, if you have a choice of any, it's very hard to beat a Deere J or even H series dozer. I've run them all and Deere is what I prefer until you get up into D6 territory, then Cat starts to make more sense. Never liked the G series Cats, they will push and make money but I prefer an H series Deere to a G series Cat. I also prefer a J series Deere to a K series Cat, haven't run the new Deere K series yet but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are excellent.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there are a few ASV 4500, md70, etc. All you would need to do is by a 6-way blade and an 80-100hp ASV may be better then a full-size dozer. Im not a machinery operator, i've been looking into skid steers and these ASV's seem to do all the work of a medium size dozer and them some.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No Ctl can compete with a d5 size blade. There is no way around it.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
there are a few ASV 4500, md70, etc. All you would need to do is by a 6-way blade and an 80-100hp ASV may be better then a full-size dozer. Im not a machinery operator, i've been looking into skid steers and these ASV's seem to do all the work of a medium size dozer and them some.

Michael
By medium size you mean D5?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was referring to a D4 or D5 size dozer. If you disagree then say so, but then answer his question. It seemed to me that the work he needed to do would make more sense to be done with an ASV since he would already have a nig dozer on site.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you already have a 953, I would invest in a 15-20 tonne excavator with hyd thumb, tooth bucket and hyd twist bucket for cutting ditches.