Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Seed or weed!!

I got a message last night from a customer who says they would like to put down weed treatment and also do an overseed that i suggested. What can i do for him. One of the clients that never wants to do what i suggest when i suggest it but he pays what i quote. Im in central jersey. What can i do first and how long in between if i still have time.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

So you suggested and quoted services to him, but you don't know the best time to do them?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spot spray broadleaf weeds IF they are actively growing and seed, seed and continue seeding right up to snow time... Broadleaf granules can mess with your seedlings...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest sow the seed. It should sprout and grow fast when the soil temperature is high and soil moisture is high. It won't grow much after frost. Do the weed control late in the year--say about late October, after the new grass has been mowed twice. Cold is not so much a problem--it just works slower.

Actually you can do the weed control a bit sooner if you accept a bit of the risk.
In my test a 3-way was OK if the new grass was 2 inches tall.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone
Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with getting the seed sown ASAP. If you do it correctly and see that it is taken care of, there will be no need to seed, seed, and continue seeding right up to snow time.

Broadleaf weed control (spray) can be done through October and probably into early November. You will get a thorough, slow kill with very little chance of damage. Definitely use a spreader-sticker. Hard to say without seeing what you have and what you will have a month from now, but I would probably spray the entire lawn rather than spot spray.

In my opinion, a lot of important growth occurs after frosts begin. Mowing may be needed less frequently but the plants will be fattening up, improving density/appearance. Those cool short days are great for root development - I'm talking about morning frosts that burn off an hour or 2 after sunrise where the rest of the day is in the mid-50s or higher rather than persistently frozen soil.

Last edited by foreplease; 09-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.