Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM
TheOctagon TheOctagon is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Central Minnesota
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwom89 View Post
After warmed up I with blades off highest rpm is 3630. With blades on not moving highest rpm is 3450. When mowing half speed in not thick grass it stays around 3300-3400 when you get into the thicker established grass it jumps down to 3000-3100. And it just sounds like the motor is working hard. And that is at about 7 mph half speed if you try to go faster it leaves a bad cut when the rpms drop that low.
Posted via Mobile Device
How many hours are on the machine? I would say give it time to break in both the hydros and the engine. I have sold several 30hp briggs on the 61" and never had one complaint.

Half speed on that mower is roughly 5-6 mph where your old zt was probably 6mph tops.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
According to Kohler's site, the Command 30 HP is actually a 26 HP engine under the new and much more accurate rating system. that's one thing that may be affecting it (though it shouldn't really with that size deck). Go into the link at the bottom here, and then into the specs chart at the right of the headings. Then look at the bottom of the list where the new ratings are found.

Try adjusting the RPM's to 3700 off load, which should give you around 3600 under load. The last couple hundred RPM's up to max recommended by the manu is right where many gas engines make and keep up their best power.


http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...%20PRO%20CV750
I know the engine is a B&S, but the HP will be very close to the Kohler. B&S is still misleading people with their bogus rating system.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:37 PM
ronwom89 ronwom89 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO
Posts: 67
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 PM
ronwom89 ronwom89 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO
Posts: 67
It has 10.5 hours on it now. I changed the break in oil at 4.5 hours
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 913
New engines are tight and need time to break in and seat the rings properly for compression. I would think 30hp on a 54 should be plenty though. We run a Kohler 29efi/52 Turf Tiger and it has no problem on thick lawns. The only time you notice the engine bogging is in 3ft tall fields. In conditions like that our Kaw 26/52 Vride actually has more cutting power.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwom89 View Post
I baught a bad boy zt 50" 27hp mower last year to mow 3 acreas and after up grading the seat to a suspension seat I was pretty happy with it even tho the cut wasn't the best. Last month I started mowing about 5 acreas so I decided to upgrade mowers to a 2013 bad boy outlaw 54" 30hp b&s cyclonic. The mower is built like I tank but with all the weight the briggs motor doesn't have enough hp to effectively mow up hill or thick established lawns. I have talked to the bad boy rep and he had me to take it in to look at it and they found nothing wrong with it other than showing them how it Boggs in any grass that's short but thick. So basically after that he told me to live with it or complain to the dealer and see if hr will do anything. Well personally I think that isn't fair to the dealer. My opinion is that the 1140 pound mower needs way more motor on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with your opinion. Sounds like your machine is way under powered. The only Briggs product I would buy is a vanguard which really isnt made by briggs.

Also sounds like typical BB customer service...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:40 PM
ronwom89 ronwom89 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Poplar Bluff, MO
Posts: 67
Yeah they were just acting like they couldn't do anything for me unless they found a mechanical issue. To me if a customer is un happy this soon with the purchase they would be willing to make it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:45 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwom89 View Post
Yeah they were just acting like they couldn't do anything for me unless they found a mechanical issue. To me if a customer is un happy this soon with the purchase they would be willing to make it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Id like to see them at least be a little more sympathetic. These machines arent cheap. Maybe get you into a machine with a better engine at cost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 PM
retrodog's Avatar
retrodog retrodog is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Paris, Tx
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I agree with your opinion. Sounds like your machine is way under powered. The only Briggs product I would buy is a vanguard which really isnt made by briggs.

Also sounds like typical BB customer service...
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey man, the cyclonic briggs is a great motor option. Its one of my best sellers on grasshopper and badboy, and also the replacement motor I put on alot of machines when the motors go out. I agree with the rep there has to be an issue somewhere. On the hp ratings kohler and briggs are going to true rating for 2014. Hopefully the rep will figure it out. As far as bad boy customer service, I have seen them go waay out of the box for customers. A rep from the factory is actually gonna go out at a home and look at their machine from a factory level. I have never heard of anyone from the dodge factory when my truck didnt drive right and thedealer couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. No other company would replace damaged decks, frame broke in half when backed over with a truck, or a mower repaired when flipping down the highway. This bad bb customer service propaganda that is spit out on here is ridiculous... if this kinda service is unpleasing to you gmlc, looks like no one will ever be able to satisfy ur cravings....
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Hey man, the cyclonic briggs is a great motor option. Its one of my best sellers on grasshopper and badboy, and also the replacement motor I put on alot of machines when the motors go out. I agree with the rep there has to be an issue somewhere. On the hp ratings kohler and briggs are going to true rating for 2014. Hopefully the rep will figure it out. As far as bad boy customer service, I have seen them go waay out of the box for customers. A rep from the factory is actually gonna go out at a home and look at their machine from a factory level. I have never heard of anyone from the dodge factory when my truck didnt drive right and thedealer couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. No other company would replace damaged decks, frame broke in half when backed over with a truck, or a mower repaired when flipping down the highway. This bad bb customer service propaganda that is spit out on here is ridiculous... if this kinda service is unpleasing to you gmlc, looks like no one will ever be able to satisfy ur cravings....
Posted via Mobile Device
BB has always gone the extra mile for you no doubt. But the costomer service stories here on LS are horrendous. I know you have helped a bunch of them out here which is amazing but you shouldnt have too...

As for Briggs I have heard they are working hard to improve but have a long way to go to be proven against other options.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.07462 seconds with 8 queries