Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwom89 View Post
Yes they are factory blades the tested balanced and were actually sharp for factory blades
Posted via Mobile Device
maybe try lower lift blades. you can just tell its fighting whats coming out
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I would raise the deck 1 inch and mow it wide open then lower it another 1 inch and crisscross it see if that helps. I have a lawn like that and it is a pain to many clippings left lying on top. In grass that thick with a healthy engine I would still cut it in stages to hide the clippings better. As far as the engine goes its definately laboring, are you using good clean gas?
I agree with this. After watching the vid a couple more times the deck is having a hard time processing that amount of grass. It probably has a tight baffle design with a lot of lift. Your going to have to double cut taking off 2" or so each time. My Exmark was the same way, but the cut should be amazing in ideal conditions. That gas is very thick!! Even an open style deck would carpet in that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I agree with this. After watching the vid a couple more times the deck is having a hard time processing that amount of grass. It probably has a tight baffle design with a lot of lift. Your going to have to double cut taking off 2" or so each time. My Exmark was the same way, but the cut should be amazing in ideal conditions. That gas is very thick!! Even an open style deck would carpet in that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah they are the same blades that was on the zt but different deck design. Like I stated the zt would chop through it twice as tall on not miss a lick. I also have one spot I mow up hill and grass is thin and you can here it struggle to pull the hill. And the is also another part of the yard that's not quit as thick and it does the same thing but doesn't leave the clippings as bad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbO2p_dwGh0 compare the 2 mower deck sounds. Your mower deck sounds way faster for whatever the reason. Also your clippings are shooting out way faster than normal
To be fair though, that video you posted, the guy is not cutting nearly as thick grass as the OP is, which is one reason that the sounds are different. Also, the thicker the clippings the more they appear to be really flying out. That's true with any mower deck up to the point that the deck can't handle them at all and just spits them out.

Something is definitely wrong with the OP's engine.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP-

I want you to check something. Not many ever think about this, but it is possible that you somehow over filled the crankcase with oil when you did the change. That will make it labor like that for sure. I don't meant to imply that you don't know how to do it correctly, but things happen sometimes, especially if we are thinking about something else while working along. It may not be the problem, but it is worth checking at least. Just make sure you check it dead cold.

I'd also check and keep checking the underside of the deck. That grass is really gooey and it will quickly load up a deck underneath and cause issues with power.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-15-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
oohhh it tight, look at the deck in the bad boy features. He might have 1.5 inches of clearance from the baffle to the blade. His zt is an open deck. I think we might have a winner here. This is also why it looks like the grass has gone though a shredder before coming out. So maybe he might get rid of the baffles or go to a lower lift blade
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
To be fair though, that video you posted, the guy is not cutting nearly as thick grass as the OP is, which is one reason that the sounds are different. Also, the thicker the clippings the more they appear to be really flying out. That's true with any mower deck up to the point that the deck can't handle them at all and just spits them out.

Something is definitely wrong with the OP's engine.
I was talking when he reaches the end of the row. Its a way higher rpm.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

here it is
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Oil checks good
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
here it is
That's pretty much a combination of the XR-7 and the Exmark UC front baffles.

The front blades being close to the baffle doesn't matter. The 7 Iron blades are as close as those without question, and no one in their right mind will say they can't cut it and get rid of it. The tight chamber on the left, then passing it to the center to chop finer is an issue though, no doubt about that.