Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Member

After listening to the all the "sage" advice, I decided to go with the RedMax 8500's as most bang for the buck and I have a RedMax dealer/repair shop here in town, though I am buying them online as he wouldn't come down enough to make the purchase locally. Hopefully, I won't need the warranty work!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUZMAN View Post
After listening to the all the "sage" advice, I decided to go with the RedMax 8500's as most bang for the buck and I have a RedMax dealer/repair shop here in town, though I am buying them online as he wouldn't come down enough to make the purchase locally. Hopefully, I won't need the warranty work!
Am curious how much you saved buying online instead of supporting your local dealer?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Am curious how much you saved buying online instead of supporting your local dealer?
It may not feel like so much if he ever does need warranty work.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be wrong but if he got a price from the local dealer, perhaps the local dealer didn't care if he bought elsewhere? Dealer could have matched or beat the price if given the chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Could be wrong but if he got a price from the local dealer, perhaps the local dealer didn't care if he bought elsewhere? Dealer could have matched or beat the price if given the chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly right! I have bought numerous items from my dealer and brought him work from other people as well as my own, so he even suggested that the price I had ($491 vs 544) was too good to pass up and I should buy online. He knows I will continue to support him and him me in the future.
You don't bite the hand that feeds you
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Well I have already done a side by side comparison on wet fall leaves with the BR600, 770 and the 8500 all at the same time, and while it's close between the 600 and 770, the 770 is more blower then the BR600. I am not knocking the 600 because it is a good blower, but there are simply stronger blowers out today like the 700 and especially the 7500/570 and the 8500/580. I sold my 600 this psring in like new conditions because I just didn't use it after buying my Husky 570, which is a lot more blower.

The last two seasons all I used for leaf clean up were my back packs, so I had a ton of opportunies to see and compare the 600 with my 570. We have a ton of leaves here, and when the 600 would no longer move the huge piles, the 570 kept on going like it was nothing.
When leaf piles are to high all leaf blowers suck. Thats when I use walk behind to push them. I dislike walk behind blowers and won't waste time lugging around oversized back pack on wheels.
Opinions on blowers vary. Use what works and what makes money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
When leaf piles are to high all leaf blowers suck. Thats when I use walk behind to push them. I dislike walk behind blowers and won't waste time lugging around oversized back pack on wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device
But why not buy the strongest backpack to make money faster...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Commando View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I've yet to see a pile of leaves of any kind that I can't move with my 570. The last couple years I have had piles that were 18"- 2' deep, 35' long and 10' front to back, and I was able to keep them moving at a good enough pace to be sensible, to the point where I needed them to be for tarping. I don't see a reason to have a wheeled blower around when I can do that.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behind blowers are definitely a huge time saver on certain properties. Open space there's no comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So I got a gift certificate to use at a nearby Husky dealer. Bought a new trimmer since except for the tax theres no benefit to ordering online, and was talking to the dealer about the 580 and 570. Go through the whole dealio and since I said I mostly order handhelds online he pulls both blowers out of the box, gas them up and hit the parking lot. While there was no wet grass on the pavement there was gravel on the side of the lot. Baring in mind neither was broken in being brand new, and other than blowing gravel straight into the ground or across the lot, no real field testing was done. IMO the 580 blows a lot harder and quicker. The 570 takes a second or so longer to be wot compared to the 580. As to the difference in weight I can say it was minimal picking them up at the same time. Strapped to my back there is almost no difference except the 570 being less bulky. Other than the end of the tube not being flared there's no difference there. No way to really test the "scouring" difference so if I was doing a lot of "scouring" as been talked about here, I might take the advice of the 570 being better, but for shear power and an all around blower it has nothing on the 580.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 10-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.