Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's get those FACEBOOK LIKES ROLLING part 2

Hey we have had such a great success with this in the past let's help each other out by liking each others page on facebook hopefully we can get a few hundred likes on our pages by liking each other. Here's my face book page like it and I will like you back and everybody who sees this thread should like the facebook pages that get added .
Let's start a chain reaction!!

www.facebook.com/grasshopperlawns
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clays...67795953246802
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopperslawn View Post
Hey we have had such a great success with this in the past let's help each other out by liking each others page on facebook
Would you mind explaining what "such a great success" actually means or give an example how LCO's liking you Page has helped you?
Quote:
hopefully we can get a few hundred likes on our pages by liking each other.
I'll cover this again, as I did several times in the previous thread. In simple math terms, let's say you have 100, legitimate Likes from your local customer pool. At the absolute best, 16 of those will ever see your message. This is how FB disseminates the status updates from Pages. 16% is the best case scenario. 1%-16% is the reality. If it weren't, Facebook wouldn't be able to sell sponsored posts.

Now, let's say you have a "few hundred likes" on your page via Lawnsiters. We'll make that number 400. If you add your 100, legitimate, local Likes from customers, or potential customers, that's 500 total Likes. What happens to that best case 16%? The answer is "severe dilution". Instead of 100, pure targets, you have now diluted your customer pool with 400 other guys who provide the same service you do.
Quote:
Let's start a chain reaction!!
What you're suggesting is nothing more than a chain reaction to severely dilute your marketing by wasting it on an LCO who won't ever spend a dime on your business.

This is absolutely a situation where quantity does not outweigh quality. Now, if you want it for purely vanity purposes, knock yourselves out by artificially inflating your Like count, but just be aware that it's going to do you more harm than good. People just choose not to recognize this fact.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Would you mind explaining what "such a great success" actually means or give an example how LCO's liking you Page has helped you?

I'll cover this again, as I did several times in the previous thread. In simple math terms, let's say you have 100, legitimate Likes from your local customer pool. At the absolute best, 16 of those will ever see your message. This is how FB disseminates the status updates from Pages. 16% is the best case scenario. 1%-16% is the reality. If it weren't, Facebook wouldn't be able to sell sponsored posts.

Now, let's say you have a "few hundred likes" on your page via Lawnsiters. We'll make that number 400. If you add your 100, legitimate, local Likes from customers, or potential customers, that's 500 total Likes. What happens to that best case 16%? The answer is "severe dilution". Instead of 100, pure targets, you have now diluted your customer pool with 400 other guys who provide the same service you do.

What you're suggesting is nothing more than a chain reaction to severely dilute your marketing by wasting it on an LCO who won't ever spend a dime on your business.

This is absolutely a situation where quantity does not outweigh quality. Now, if you want it for purely vanity purposes, knock yourselves out by artificially inflating your Like count, but just be aware that it's going to do you more harm than good. People just choose not to recognize this fact.

Um.......wow! That's a lot of info there Tony. How about some of your sites you have worked on so we can see an example of quality. You know a lot so I think it would help some of us out.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony is spot on. Social media should be viewed through the same lens as all your other marketing efforts. At the end of the day, all that matters is return on your investment regardless of marketing channel. Remember that your time is an investment just like cash, but obviously if your schedule isn't slammed with work you can spend more time on your marketing efforts while hopefully saving a few bucks.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Really. Wake up. Social media for a service business is a waste of time.

http://www.businessesgrow.com/2011/1...-one-sentence/
Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's get those FACEBOOK LIKES ROLLING part 2

I think CL is right. I don't have the time to manage mine. So it would be a waste.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post

Based on the article you linked to, I don't think so.

"Companies that provide humorous, entertaining,interactive, news-worthy, interesting, and/or educational content." - I use an RSS reader to pull together blog posts and articles, and I use Tumblr for the same thing. If I don't have anything to post that day I look for an interesting headline in my feeds. Investment of time? <5 min

"Beloved brands that have passionate “fans” outside of social media like Coca-Cola, BMW, universities, charities, sports teams, or the neighborhood pizza joint." - you're never going to have rabid fans like Coke. But I see a lot of guys sponsoring and coaching sports teams and doing other community stuff. Your FB page could reinforce that and drive engagement. If you're in the community you have fans.

"Brands that allow you some exclusive access, deal, discount, contest, or benefit from being on Facebook." - FB just relaxed their rules on contests so that you no longer need to use a third party app for paid contests. Why not run a contest then?

"Companies that interact with you in a unique and personal way." - does your brand have a personality?

I 100% agree that if you don't have the time to manage your page you're wasting your time. But I think it's short-sighted to dismiss FB as useless. There are a handful of guys on Lawnsite who are using their lawncare FB pages very effectively.

Oh, and Tony's spot on. Again. Eventually someone will listen to him.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post

Oh, and Tony's spot on. Again. Eventually someone will listen to him.
Yeah. I would like to see some of his work though; websites that he has built. I would be great to see that and learn from it.

How about it Tony?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post

1. It's not a waste of time. It is, however, difficult and requires a solid plan and execution. It's infinitely easier for landscape installers. It's not as easy for mowers. One is inherently shareable due to the visual nature of the photos.

Since he weighed in, I'll point out that Papercutter is a great example of just that. I don't waste Likes on LCO Pages because it does them no good and, quite frankly, I can only read "Looks like a great day to mow!!! SEE you all SOoN!!!1!" (not an exaggeration). I Liked Papercutter's because he gets it and provides solid content.

2. Sorry, but that article should never be used as supporting documentation. There wasn't a single fact, or even the hint of one, that social media for service businesses is a waste of time. There are plenty of cases to be made as to why it's tough, or even impossible, for a service business to take advantage of Twitter or Facebook, but that fluff wasn't one of them.

Regardless of business, social media is really only just limited by your creativity and execution.