Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Nightscaping 500w Timer Dead

I have tried to order a new analog timer but it seems the whole country is out of stock. How do I get a new timer (T-SS-AT) or bypass the timer in the power center? The lighting will not work with or without the old timer installed. Seems the switch inside the timer is bad. Ideas?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok. There are two possible solutions for you here.

1: get your hands on a newer digital timer an install it. The Aube Ti035 ( Honeywell) has been the go to digital astro timer for years, they cost under 40 each and are pretty much fool proof. They mount onto a modular control bay plate that fits into the NS Powercenter. Connect white to terminal 4, Blue to terminal 2 and black to terminal 1.

2: bypass the modular control bay and use an external timer of your choice. This is done by installing a jumper between terminal 1 and 2. Then just plug the Powercenter into any third party external control of your choice.

Hope this helps.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 09-14-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a jumper on between 1 and 2 and the unit plugged in and live - timer has been completely removed. Still no lights. Ideas?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Pic of the box
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks to me like the fustats are blown. Check them both for continuity. Replace only with Buss S25 fustats.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just replace the entire transformer? Whenever I come across an older Nightscaping transformer, I always just tell my customer it needs to be replaced - whether it's working or not. For one, because the transformers I install have a lifetime warranty and then I know that I and the customer can count on that transformer forever. I cannot warranty a lighting system that has an old transformer. But I can easily warranty one that we installed, that carries a lifetime warranty. For two, I'd rather be working with something that is new, accepts newer timers more easily, has multi-tap ability, something I know is toroidal core, and something I'm fully familiar with. Typically, if I have a new lighting customer, I'm going to be there go-to guy for lighting going forward. So I'd rather have something at their house that I know and trust. For three, they aren't all that expensive. A few hundred bucks gets you a new one and I'd rather spend my time doing other lighting work rather than trying to monkey with some old outdated transformer.

I don't find convincing customers to replace their transformer to be a very difficult proposition. Most of my customers can easily afford it and will follow my lead on what I recommend, if I explain the benefits. So why bother with it? Just replace it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Jim,
One big selling point for Nightscaping's Powercenters (after about '95 I think, or maybe earlier) was the lifetime warranty, though not the timers.

A lifetime warranty is only as good as the longevity of the company though. Probably will be painful for people that have mostly installed NS products.

I may have an analog timer or two on hand if anyone really wants one. Gotta say I've been installing only Vista or FX TFs for a few years now. The cheap disposable timer idea still works for me on a lot of jobs.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also check out the fustat troubleshooting guide 2/3 of the way down this page

http://www.nightscaping.com/timers/
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, James!

Ran across this thread because I had the exact same problem as the OP. Just wanted to say that I successfully replaced my old analog timer with the Aube Ti035 as you suggested. I just re-used the plate from the round analog timer by cutting a rectangular opening with my handy Dremel tool. Entire operation took less than an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
1: get your hands on a newer digital timer an install it. The Aube Ti035 ( Honeywell) has been the go to digital astro timer for years, they cost under 40 each and are pretty much fool proof. They mount onto a modular control bay plate that fits into the NS Powercenter. Connect white to terminal 4, Blue to terminal 2 and black to terminal 1.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked to ensure that the Buss S25 fustat is good? Use a meter to check continuity. Also ensure that you are using only S25 fustats in the secondary fuse sockets. No other type will work.

If you have good S25 fustats installed, ensure that they are firmly and smoothly screwed all the way into the sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsscpa View Post
I have a jumper on between 1 and 2 and the unit plugged in and live - timer has been completely removed. Still no lights. Ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device