Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Is anyone doing or considering a franchise?

Curious to see how many, if any, have joined a franchise or have considered one? The one I keep hearing advertisements for on CNBC is Weed Man. Anyone have knowledge of this outfit or have an opinion on if it is even worth it.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.weedmanfranchise.com/
Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would NOT do it.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weed man in my area has preformed services for people that don't even ask for them and then threatens to wreck their credit if they don't pay. They bully senior citizens into services. I asked for a quote 5 yrs ago. Only to come home and see a sign on my lawn. They put down fert and left a bill for $300 !! When I called and complained they said I signed up. I didn't sign anything as it was over the phone. Then they said I asked for it on the phone. I said prove it. They never showed me anything. I did end up paying $150 to stop the harassment Stupid me. I didn't want my credit to get hurt. I know better now. There was a show on TV about way worse.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers had a video of a guy coming spraying 5% of her lawn 30 seconds on the front only Put down the sign then leave a bill for $75. Lol
Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look up weed man w5 CBC news on weed man bullying and scams
Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Lawn Doctor Franchisee in my area finally walked away from his Contract after about 12 years. After the 1st year he had the business listed For Sale. Interesting thing to my knowledge is he never sold off any of his accounts. He just dropped them and closed down his Fert & Squirt side of the Business. He never stopped cutting grass after he bought the Lawn Doctor Franchise and never hired a helper. The fact he was still cutting grass after all those years as a Fert & Squirt franchisee should tell you how successful he was.

BTW I am guessing the reason he has not started his own company is because he signed a Non Compete that has him tied up real tight.

SCORE is a Free Service provide by Retired Businessmen. They can and Will do more for you for free than anyone will do for money. Here in Retirement Land we have a lot of Retired businessmen who are looking to help young businessmen get a start. Contact your local SCORE people and they WILL put you on the right tract to build a business and continue to help you build that business.

http://www.score.org/

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.