Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
This is America...you can charge whatever you want for anything that you want to...
If somebody pays your price....you didn't charge too much...
The guy can sell stuff cheaper on the internet because he doesn't have a storefront or employees..
Maybe we should all call you to see if we are asking a fair price for stuff.?????
Did you sleep thru the high school economics classes.????

Where's TaterSalad when you need him....
you cannot charge anything you want because its America, if you charge a old lady $50.00 bucks to put on a new blade on a mower and few days later she finds out it should have cost most $5.00 bucks you will get sued and have to refund at very least $45.00 and court fees and in most cases the judge will see you took advantage of a person they would make you pay back $49.00 plus court costs.......
I called 2 dealers, $70.00 and $73.00 a hour. I usually do all my own work but don't feel like messing with this.
I do have a relationship with one dealer close to me but I have 2 dealers 15 miles away that have real smart mechanics and I rather pay them to fix it right faster then the shop I do deal with all the time even thought they are $66.00 a hour so for $7.00 bucks more a hour it went to that shop and a three day commercial wait, $70. shop was a week and 66 was a week.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$9 for one spark plug in my book is extortion and racketeering, how come these so-called "legitimate" businesses get away with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
That's false. My clientelle are 95% commercial, so you're mower does'nt sit behind Mrs. Smith's 21" toro. If you bought your mower from me, it gets pulled in the shop and diagnosed within 24 hours. If you bought your mower from me in the current season, you get pulled in while in our wating room, and see if we can fix it within 90 minutes. If we can't, you're getting a loaner and back on your way.

Obviously, the guy asking about shop rate DOES'NT have a relationship with his dealer.

Our shop rate is $80.00 an hour. Just outside of Detroit.

Let the dealer bashing begin!
Yeah everyone always has an angle and a story but I understand today, what you folks mean by "relationship."
Btw... It's not IF.

What I figured out a long time ago about shop rates, get a load of this:
I can PAY myself $30 for every hour it takes me to fix my own, and I come out ahead.
And believe it or not I don't have to be ashamed of working for $30 an hour.

Last edited by herler; 09-15-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
you cannot charge anything you want because its America, if you charge a old lady $50.00 bucks to put on a new blade on a mower and few days later she finds out it should have cost most $5.00 bucks you will get sued and have to refund at very least $45.00 and court fees and in most cases the judge will see you took advantage of a person they would make you pay back $49.00 plus court costs.......
I called 2 dealers, $70.00 and $73.00 a hour. I usually do all my own work but don't feel like messing with this.
I do have a relationship with one dealer close to me but I have 2 dealers 15 miles away that have real smart mechanics and I rather pay them to fix it right faster then the shop I do deal with all the time even thought they are $66.00 a hour so for $7.00 bucks more a hour it went to that shop and a three day commercial wait, $70. shop was a week and 66 was a week.
Milo....if its posted on the wall...$85/hr shop labor rate...
$50 miniimum charge for anything...including blade changing....

ITS LEGAL.....AIN'T NOBODY GETTIN SUED.....

With more people buying parts online...its only a matter of time before these minimum charges start showing up...labor ain't cheap...buildings ain't cheap..carrying an inventory ain't cheap..
If you don't like the prices....get learned up and do it yourself....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$68 a hour is the rate at my shop with a min. of $35. is the rate posted on my shops wall. Fair as can be and the shop is small and busting out of the doors with customers and can hardly hold the inventory they need in the store because they are so small and so much business comes through the doors.

When I first started out the rate was lower and I used to complain because that amount per hour seemed crazy, however I soon learned having someone who could get my equipment in and out and make sure we were back in the field in a little as time as possible was worth every dollar. At one point that hit me when I had two guys sitting there on O.T with me, waiting for a belt for a mower, which was on my mower in less than 5 minutes after pulling into the shop.
Was that belt expensive...not really when you considered I could of gone elsewhere and not had a shop member waiting outside for me to pull up and to install the belt, at which point I could of been paying my guys $15.00 a hour to wait while I went into the shop, To get paid to wait while the dealer looked for the belt, paid to wait while the dealer finally got everything on the mower ready and it put back on the trailer.

A good dealer is worth whatever they honestly can help you save and make a year. They are just as critical to your business as your best piece of equipment.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

going rate where i buy from is 99$ hr. no matter who you are. if you do not have means to deliver equipment it is 35 pick up and an additional 35 return delivery...They mark up the price a great deal...their mechanic will order parts for me from his home that the dealer he works for cant even get, plus he will install for me because he is willing to service brands that they won't. Now I do not understand if a kawasaki motor is on several different brands of mowers but not the brand the dealer sells and i have a problem with the carburator lets say why wont they offer to fix it, its not under warranty...reg customers wait is pushing 21 days and commercial is minimum 3 day wait...therefore I shop around for repairs and parts....I've found dealer/mechanics offering good advice in hopes to earn business from me when i get a problem i cant fix

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
50-80/hr. Actual dealers tend to be more expensive than Joes Small Engine We Fix Anything. I want to know why some of these places mark up the price of parts over an acceptable rate. Ex. 50 dollar part found online in numerous places costs 85. Same BS with appliance repair. It is like the find the highest possible price and then add on another 20%
I can tell you why. Its the same thing with automotive repair and many others.

The hourly rate is what covers all the over head. Paying the employees, electric, rent/mortgage, gas, insurance blah blah blah

The parts markup is where the profit is for the business owner. Without that there would be no profit and if there was no profit there is no shop to take your equipment to.
Posted via Mobile Device