Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone a paying memeber to Linkedln?

I've been told by people in other professions that this is a great way to network and get good leads from time to time (or help when its needed).

Anyone have a paying membership and what are your opinions.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone a paying memeber to Linkedln?

I did for me it was a waste of time and money.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm fairly well connected with Social Media for our company. Active in Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Houzz and others. I really believe in LinkedIn just so you can stay in touch with people. It's like Facebook, but without all the drama and B.S. (Note: I'm a fan of Facebook for company. But I don't use Facebook for friends or any other contacts.)

Anyway, as for LinkedIn specifically, I have a ton of connections and use it a lot. I keep in contact with previous customers, competitors, other local contractors, suppliers, old college buddies, etc. using LinkedIn. It's just a really good way to keep in contact with people, without hearing about all the stupid Facebook drama and constant updates of what people are doing every second. So I am a big fan of LinkedIn, in general.

As for buying the paid subscription, I cannot see any benefit for our profession to do so. I'm connected with a few industry gurus like Rick Bartel and Tony Bass. Those guys are always pushing their newest book, CD set, seminar, etc. I think if you're someone like that, it really makes sense to get the paid subscription. Because you can create a lot of contacts in LinkedIn and then specifically target people who might be interested in your stuff. But for what we do, that doesn't work so well. Let's take my average client; some executive level guy at a big local company. Is he really going to want to be constantly bothered by the guy who installed his patio 2 years ago with new promotions, services, etc.? No. He's too busy for that. He wants to stay connected. So that in case he wants something else he knows where to reach me. But he doesn't want to be bugged by me all the time. So the paid subscription does nothing for me for most of the people I'm connected with. I can still contact all my connections at any given time, if I need to contact them for some reason. And they can contact me. But that's about the extent of the usefulness. Anything more, for what we do, is just being annoying.

As for LinkedIn producing leads? Not so much. I have almost 500 connections, a lot of them pretty well to do people who are customers, friends of customers, or people we have some sort of connection with. But rarely does anyone contact me for a job just because we were connected on LinkedIn. I can think of one case, out of hundreds of jobs we've done in the last 2 years or so, where a job started from LinkedIn. And that was a really small job. I think it's just a good way to keep and file people's contact information in one easy to find place. And maybe occasionally, as you update your profile, they'll see the update and be reminded of you. That's it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go to networking events LinkedIn is worth using. I've gone to events where people have said "I don't have a card on me but give me yours and I'll connect with you on LinkedIn and we'll go from there." Unless you're actively building a network I can't see the point. As for the premium membership, I work with a lot of people who live and die by LinkedIn (government contractors, etc) and none of them pay for it. As Jim mentioned I think it's a tiny slice of users who would benefit from it.