Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Altering the front channel XR7 deck advice ?

I know very little about deck design and advice would be great from some who understand how decks work.

I was thinking of taking the front channel baffle out of the front of my XR7 to make more room for the grass to have a bigger channel to exit the deck. Could this help?

I was also going to open the exit chute more.

Any help would be great.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe there were at least a couple different versions of the XR-7. The one in the link below could be opened up a lot by removing the front baffle. It will lose some suction, but will still move plenty of air with high lift blades. No need to open the chute more, because removing the front baffle all together does that for you. It would work for the type of stuff you do a lot better than the way it is IMO. It would be much more like the decks under most heavy duty garden tractors or CUT's, since they usually don't have the front inner baffle, and they cut beautifully like they come. It would also be like the Gravely Pro Ride's deck, though it wouldn't have the tunnel design or effect.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=28
Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were to pull it out it would be more like a Scag, my XR7 does not have that extra gizmo on the 1st blade like in the picture. I heard the ultra is not very good?

You could actually take it out then bolt a lip to the front to lower the front of the deck on a XR7 to get more vacuum. That with the new style XV4 blades might just solve alot of complaints with this deck.

The raised lip in the front is for getting stingers, that is what makes this deck so good for that.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just thinking about this earlier. I could take some flat steel and bolt it along the inside if the front lip in order to get the front lower and allow for more Vaccum. But as soon as I do that I would need to take them back off for an overgrown yard lol. I love the xr7 for one thing and that is its ability to cut tall shat very nicely. I actually just finished mowing a pasture that had seed heads standing around 2 feet tall. I had to allow time for it to cut, but it cut it down to 3.75 in one pass. Can't complain about that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
If I were to pull it out it would be more like a Scag, my XR7 does not have that extra gizmo on the 1st blade like in the picture. I heard the ultra is not very good?

You could actually take it out then bolt a lip to the front to lower the front of the deck on a XR7 to get more vacuum. That with the new style XV4 blades might just solve alot of complaints with this deck.

The raised lip in the front is for getting stingers, that is what makes this deck so good for that.
Well, if you look at the pic again, you will see that that particular version of the XR-7 has the front lip you are talking about for suction already attached to it. Removong that baffle would be a lot more like my tunnel deck for my CUT or the deck on the Pro Ride than the V+ deck, because the blades would be back several more inches from the front skirt than on the V+ or VX4.