Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice work man, I am a Walker guy myself but I definitely have respect for the Exmark family. Seems folks on this site love to talk about appearance... Yes, it is important. Yes, matching shirts are great. Yes, we should all strive for professionalism in our industry. But DO NOT tell me how to dress!!!! I have been doing it since I was 5 years old and I'm pretty sure I have it down... Assumptions, assumptions.... Not every dude that has a million dollar estate is a suit or uniform wearing person... Some of them would actually LIKE to see guys working at their spot that show some individualism... Anyway, keep up the good work...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Nice work man, I am a Walker guy myself but I definitely have respect for the Exmark family. Seems folks on this site love to talk about appearance... Yes, it is important. Yes, matching shirts are great. Yes, we should all strive for professionalism in our industry. But DO NOT tell me how to dress!!!! I have been doing it since I was 5 years old and I'm pretty sure I have it down... Assumptions, assumptions.... Not every dude that has a million dollar estate is a suit or uniform wearing person... Some of them would actually LIKE to see guys working at their spot that show some individualism... Anyway, keep up the good work...
You just nailed my thoughts exactly about this whole image thing. I think I have a pretty decent image. A fairly clean older truck, mowers all match (because I like to hoard parts, easier with like machines), work shirts that look more professional than 99% of landacapers (I gave certain clients shirts too, and I see them wearing them all the.time)

The monster estate we just scored, is owned by a man with as many caluses as I have, he just made the right investment at the right time. He's a working man, not afraid to do work.

My image must not be too bad, I scored another estate this week, in the neighborhood I dream of being exclusive to.......the empty lots are selling for a mil alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Image is only so much, i was driving a beat up yukon in highschool with a 48" walk behind and i had the same amount of houses in a sub division that the largest company in the county had charging the same prices, if you do better work you get more work, being uniformed is a bonus.
-97' F-250HD Ext. Cab Long Bed 5.8L 4x4
-08' Exmark Lazer Z 28HP EFI/60" Triton
-05' Ferris 15HP/48" Ultrabelt GD
-09' Craftsman 7.5HP/22"
-98' MTD 5HP/21"
-00' Shindaiwa T-230 Trimmer
-06'/12' Shindaiwa T-242 Trimmers
-12' Shindaiwa LE-242 Stick edger
-11' Redmax 7150 BP Blower
-00' Redmax 4300 BP Blower
-06' Craftsman 5HP Edger
-05' HaulinUt 6x12
-13' PoulanPro 18" Chainsaw
-02' Craftsman Bushwacker HedgeTrimmers
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Things are going great!!! I'm learning that mid season clients are the best ones to find, they are the ones tired of poor service. My image must not be too bad, another full service client, with a second property we will provide gardening service for, but too far out for mowing. Check out my FB, we posted a bunch of pics there, but I'm too lazy to photobucket them tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man nice work! Your business name was the one I was gonna use if I ever went into business for myself. But keep up the good work.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice work man, I run a all walk behind company too.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Nice work man, I run a all walk behind company too.
What is your reasoning behind it?

I do it to separate myself from the millions of guys flying around on riders, and.because they're cheaper to own/operate/maintain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
What is your reasoning behind it?

I do it to separate myself from the millions of guys flying around on riders, and.because they're cheaper to own/operate/maintain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same reasoning I find for the high end properties they leave a better cut with less turf damage. And with a sulky on them I find we can still knock them out just about as fast. And like you said I've gotten accounts because we use the walk behinds, and they don't want riders on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys check out Pro Turf's thread in the pictures section? While I may not completely agree with the exclusively walk behind business model, I do see the benefits and I have respect for it... Anyway, check out Pro Turf... This dude is no joke out of the Northern Massachusetts/Southern New Hampshire area. Huge with irrigation, installs, and snow removal but he got a lot of his chops mowing and he still does maintenance. Long story short, I guess about a year ago or so he switched from riders to all Turf Tracers. He had a photo of like 5 of the things being delivered on a flat bed.... Needless to say the sight was SICK!!!! Check it out, he's a super nice dude and will answer any questions you might have on the philosophy....
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll search for his thread.

Here's a few pics from this weeks adventures. Onto mowing and maintenance for the rest of the week.

The new client, also has a house on the local island for me to maintain. Still haven't seen that one.
Posted via Mobile Device