Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And todays jobs, a few small cobble stone jobs.

This is at one of my m&gs. I was asked about doing this early this spring and completely forgot about it until I seen the homeowner bought a couple bags of gravel. So I gave it to them for cost of materials as I felt bad because I forgot about them.

27 minutes of our time onsite, will gain me many referrals. (This couple has single handly sent me 7 clients with one referral, so its only good business)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At my favorite site, have many pics of this same area before, but we added gravel so that we can start piling pine straw around the bases to help with the ph levels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People's choice to use gravel in beds is bewildering, to me. Am I the only one who thinks mulch/straw looks better?

I have a couple clients with gravel beds and they're a PITA to maintain. IDK, could just be me.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
People's choice to use gravel in beds is bewildering, to me. Am I the only one who thinks mulch/straw looks better?

I have a couple clients with gravel beds and they're a PITA to maintain. IDK, could just be me.
Nope I can't stand the rock in the beds, you cant really re-fresh it or else you end up with a mound of rocks.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's done correctly, stone should end up being easier to maintain because of the lack of organic matter, If you excavate out a foot and then put in the stone, I find that there will be way less weeds than with mulch or straw... As for re-freshing it, I find that hitting them with the power washer and just agitating them a bit works... That being said, Mulch or Straw is for sure cheaper than stone, especially the stuff in the photo above... That stuff is about 40/ton retail where I am at in Upstate New York... But, if you were to ask me my favorite? I like a nice jet black mulch... Looks so good against a white or lighter colored house with lots of evergreen type landscaping... Just my 2
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
But, if you were to ask me my favorite? I like a nice jet black mulch... Looks so good against a white or lighter colored house with lots of evergreen type landscaping.
Yep. The contrast in colors "pop" and it never looks dated.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like gravel beds either but.......

Both areas were tacky/lacking finish before.
The site with the Limelight, it matches all of theyre other beds, and well she does a nice job maintaining it.

Second job is a full maintenance client. The Anna Belle are struggling, need nutrition, and I provided a way to do it cleanly. The rocks will get any organic buildup, I intentionally didn't put a seperation barrier down for garden performance reasons. I'll fight the gravel to keep it good looking......easier than the bare dirt, the client stripped all the mulch from her site two years ago and re did her landscape around no mulch, because she doesn't want the insects. 10k ft of ground cover we maintain weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$18 a yard is our price, I live in the past gravel capital of the world, Oxford Michigan. Gravel is way cheaper than mulch in the long run, as you only redo it every 5 years or so. Heavy blowing all the time keeps it clean looking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

18$ a yard!!!! Man! Can you send me some of that through the mail?!?! LOL... That's a great price... I am drooling imagining how much coin I could make around here with those prices. I sell a TON (no pun intended) of small water management jobs... Stone around the foundation, stone at the bottom of the down spouts, stuff like that. And I find that if you have to do it anyways, most folks would like a nicer looking stone(decorative) rather than some sort of generic aggregate. By the way, that's what I would call what you have in those pictures.... Decorative Stone... Anyway, that property looks great..... Kind of an English Garden feel to it and I think the stone goes really well....
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Now that I am venturing into the gardening side of the industry, there are MILLIONs of differnt tastes and styles. I happen to like a more natural feel, hand pruning of most shrubs, making things feel natural, but yet maintaining it to stay looking "maintained...." Im not sure how to explain it.

My main gardening client, the white house, said to me one day..... My yard feels like a jungle..... She said it in a good way, and well, thats what I am shooting for......a natural feel, with happy clients.

I must be getting old, or the new mower made mowing that much more enjoyable......but we had a great week production wise. Ive finally dialed in my employee selection to where Im watching these guys do extras that I used to have to catch, instead of babysitting kids. Now if I can only hold onto them through the winter, thought today I pretty much re secured my snow work Ive held previously, along with my two new plows added to the fleet. Lets pray for some snow!!

www.Outdoors-Unlimited.net

www.facebook.com/Outdoors.Unlimited