The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Just get a class A and be done with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Getting a CDL if you don't need one couldn't be dumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
,you never stated what the vin/door plates read
Yes I did. Not that it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I guess not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
Hey guys, I just got one quick question. If I buy a trailer with a gvwr of 14k for example, with a payload of 10500, can i put a machine that weighs around 11500 or something similar because of tongue weight? like when my trailer gets scaled, since some of the weight is on the tongue does that weight not matter for the trailer gvwr or scaling?

sorry if this is confusing...

thanks,
Hank
Back to the topic. Bumper pull trailer are horrible for pulling heavy loads. The load can be hard to balance and the truck will handle like crap compared to a gooseneck.

You also need to realize when you hit a bump or the grade changes you can easily shift your weight and overload one side of the axle. A 10K load can easily apply several thousands pounds more with a bump. I wouldn't pull anything that heavy unless you had either a triple 7K gooseneck or a twin 10K goosneck. I have both.

Even with a triple 7K gooseneck your would need ramps with built in legs to support the weight while loading or you would need to put jack stands under the trailer while loading. Loading heavy equipment can put the entire load on the rear axle and compromise it pretty easily.

I wouldn't worry about over loading the rear axle as much with 10K dually axles. My trailer is rated for 25K but it holds 30K-32K with ease. At 34K it's maxed out. With $3,800 upgraded hydraulic over electric brakes it will stop with ease.

I'm not sure if there is a reason your not considering a gooseneck but for safety it's really the only way to go with a heavy piece of equipment. At least here in Austin, Texas if you got stopped they will most likely look at what the GCWR is. They will not take the time to use a scale or portable scale unless your rig balance looks out of whack.

Airbags are a great weight to keep your rig from sagging and improve the handling. I have a CDL and have been stopped at roadside checkpoints multiple times with no issues. The weights and measures police look under the hood and up under the truck and don't even notice all the emissions equipment is missing.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss
One of the most misunderstood parts of the above requirements has to do with trailers with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds when the combined GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. In this case a CDL is NOT required provided you are not placarded for hazardous materials. However individual states may impose a requirement that drivers in their states must have a CDL in this situation so you need to check the requirements in your state. It is also important to note that individual state CDL licensing requirements CAN NOT be applied to drivers from other states.
Bingo!! The regs that most of us have been quoting are national CDL regs, states can always impose more restrictive guidelines.