Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im back

Hey I got done doing this thinking I'd be happy working forty hour a week job. Well I'm broke working that job. So I'm still keeping that job for now but I'm back to doing landscaping stuff on the side. All I have left is my push mower hand tools and stihl trimmer. Can I find fall clean up work still or would it be all booked up by other lcos. Also it's to late for me to get a plow this season so could i do snowblowing to make some extra money? Spring time I'm going to go big and get a trailer and zero turn but need to do something now to save money up. Can I do it thanks

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Can I do it thanks"

You have to go in with the attitude, "I know I can and will!" If your not determined and 110% committed, you'll haven't a chance.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks the hard part is I don't have any customers. I don't want to go take the ones I had from the lcos that got them. I know I could but that's just not the right thing to do and I wouldn't want it done to me so I'll hang flyers up and pick away at small jobs that i can get

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sniping old clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
Thanks the hard part is I don't have any customers. I don't want to go take the ones I had from the lcos that got them. I know I could but that's just not the right thing to do and I wouldn't want it done to me so I'll hang flyers up and pick away at small jobs that i can get

I say go get them back!!! If you think you can give them better or at least equivalent service quality then you need to jump on it; you may see that they're happy to see you back in the game (until you talk to them you won't really know)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try posting on CL for fall cleanups. You could also market for roof shoveling, gutter cleaning etc. There are a lot of ways to grab clients this time of year by offering services their normal LCO's don't. This will set you up with a better client list in the Spring and give you a leg up on next year.

Good luck and welcome back to the green industry
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Why is it too late to buy a plow?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Moneys tight tight now so trini to' save up as much as i can without going in debt

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
Thanks the hard part is I don't have any customers. I don't want to go take the ones I had from the lcos that got them.
i would contact EVERY customer that i had a previous relationship with and let them know that i am back in business.... and let them decide if they are happy with their current LCO or were happier with you.

If the new LCO's are making them happy, then they will stay...if not you have some new customers.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With regard to going back to former customers, did you sell the accounts to another LCO? Or, did you merely cease operations, and let the customers make a new choice?

This is key. If you sold the accounts in some form (e.g. just a list, introduction, etc.), then going back to them would be out of bounds. No, mark that, ... way out of bounds. If you merely ceased operations, and all the customers went out ON THEIR OWN to find a new LCO, then they are fair game. If not, they are not fair game.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbf0786 View Post
I say go get them back!!! If you think you can give them better or at least equivalent service quality then you need to jump on it; you may see that they're happy to see you back in the game (until you talk to them you won't really know)
When I disagree I usually keep my mouth shut but in this case I can't. You are encouraging a man that failed one time around to go back to previous customers and steal them away from an LCO that stepped up when he failed. The lack of integrity in this industry drives me crazy. I won't even place a bid with an hoa that currently has an lco unless they tell me they are unhappy with the current service and are changing no matter what. Too much underbidding in this industry. That's why we are all working for the same rates we did in the nineties. Under bidding is not the issue in this case, I understand that. I would encourage this guy to take his snow blower door to door in neighborhoods he wants to service year round and use what he has to get his foot in the door.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind