Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Question for the part time guys..

I work full time as a Jet Engine Mechanic anywhere from 40-60 hours a week and do landscaping/lawn care on the side as a legal tax paying paying business. I have hopes and dreams of turning this into a larger company one day, but I am pretty much solo right now with a little side help when I get busy. I am finishing up my first year as a part time company and starting to do the math of what my gross sales are going to be. I was wanting to know what other part time guys that work a full time job consider a success in gross sales being "Part Time". I am not trying to pry in to anyone financials, I am just looking for a ball park number.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Working 15 hours/week I have averaged 3k per month.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some people can live on 3k/mo. and some can't live on 10k/mo... numbers are meaningless in some circumstances...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Let's just say if you can't pull in $60 per hour gross or better on a regular basis....keep it part time.

In fact I have been looking at getting back into working as an A&P mechanic but I can't stand working nights and I'd rather live here and not in a big city.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Let's just say if you can't pull in $60 per hour gross or better on a regular basis....keep it part time.

In fact I have been looking at getting back into working as an A&P mechanic but I can't stand working nights and I'd rather live here and not in a big city.
Posted via Mobile Device
We're hiring at P&W in columbus ga
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
We're hiring at P&W in columbus ga
Posted via Mobile Device
What are the shifts and approx pay rates these days? I've been away from the industry for a very long time. It would almost be like starting over from square one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a foreman for a larger landscape company in the town I live in, but I do lawn care on the side along with some other services that the company that I work for does not offer. I am 21 and just doing it to help pay my way through college. I have a business license and insurance. As far as taking it full time ive never really thought too much about doing that as this is only my second year in business. I do know that I generally work about 3 days a week doing the lawn care or other small jobs and I do it at night. I try to make $200+ dollars in about 4 hours worth of work or I don't see it as worth my time. I figure an extra $600 a weeks is pretty good for me right now.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
I am a foreman for a larger landscape company in the town I live in, but I do lawn care on the side along with some other services that the company that I work for does not offer. I am 21 and just doing it to help pay my way through college. I have a business license and insurance. As far as taking it full time ive never really thought too much about doing that as this is only my second year in business. I do know that I generally work about 3 days a week doing the lawn care or other small jobs and I do it at night. I try to make $200+ dollars in about 4 hours worth of work or I don't see it as worth my time. I figure an extra $600 a weeks is pretty good for me right now.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
That is $50 per hour gross. Many folks in this area cry foul when contractors have stated labor rates of $45 per man hour. This is the land of "lowest prices in town for sprinkler blowouts". $30 is the going rate. $45 per typical residential less than 1/3 is high here.

I won't name companies locally here but it is very common to have a 3 man crew show up with a Walker GHS with dull blades, one guy scalp burn edges and the other blows off clippings all for $25.

Many clients merely look at cost. Those are NOT the clients I want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
What are the shifts and approx pay rates these days? I've been away from the industry for a very long time. It would almost be like starting over from square one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Starting out around $16.90 an hour with full benefits. (You may be able to negotiate more depending on expeirence
You have oppritunities for to Level up and get raises along with yearly raises and nice bonuses.

Most money is made working OT when available.

1st shift M-Th 0530-1600
2nd Shift M-Th 1530-0200 8% off shift pay raise
Weekends Fri-Sun 0630-1900 36 hours get paid for 40 8% off shift pay raise

We are currently building V2500, PW2000, F117, and F100 turbofans.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Starting out around $16.90 an hour with full benefits. (You may be able to negotiate more depending on expeirence
You have oppritunities for to Level up and get raises along with yearly raises and nice bonuses.

Most money is made working OT when available.

1st shift M-Th 0530-1600
2nd Shift M-Th 1530-0200 8% off shift pay raise
Weekends Fri-Sun 0630-1900 36 hours get paid for 40 8% off shift pay raise

We are currently building V2500, PW2000, F117, and F100 turbofans.
What kind of pay are the more experienced guys making...? Benefits would be great but that kind of wage is iffy.

For years I have pondered working part-time some place just for a benefit package and keep doing what I'm doing and loose all the picky clients who come unglued if you show up a day late to mow or apply fert whatever.....

Places like Costco have excellent benefits and a solid starting wage that is above $10 per hour but below that $16 per hour.
Posted via Mobile Device