Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

how dangerous are herbicides

Just now got pesticide license. my question is how dangerous really are herbcides? to humans? pets?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll definitely be coming back to this thread. There is just no other way to phrase what I am about to type. KY gave you a license and you don't know the answer to this???? Did your study materials not cover this topic?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
I'll definitely be coming back to this thread. There is just no other way to phrase what I am about to type. KY gave you a license and you don't know the answer to this???? Did your study materials not cover this topic?
He got a pesticide license not a herbicide license.

Though common sense a poison that kills any life form has to have the potential to be dangerous.

Agent Orange. I need not say more.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The term Petsicide refers to all herbicides, fungicides, insecticides. A pest is an unwanted living organism.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The term Petsicide refers to all herbicides, fungicides, insecticides. A pest is an unwanted living organism.
Posted via Mobile Device
What Patriot said...
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribing to this thread.....

Studies (though some maybe biased) are showing that long term exposure can be dangerous to your health.

Whats funny is the labels, and the ag restrictions for re-entry and lawn use re-entry.

Ag is usually 24 hours or more. Lawn use is "until dry".....

Really though, we try to educate our customers on the minimum to make their lawn look good and acceptable. This also includes the use of lawn soil samples to know what nutrients are needed.

Balance is the key....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribing to this thread.....

Studies (though some maybe biased) are showing that long term exposure can be dangerous to your health.

Whats funny is the labels, and the ag restrictions for re-entry and lawn use re-entry.

Ag is usually 24 hours or more. Lawn use is "until dry".....

Really though, we try to educate our customers on the minimum to make their lawn look good and acceptable. This also includes the use of lawn soil samples to know what nutrients are needed.

Balance is the key....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie86 View Post
Just now got pesticide license. my question is how dangerous really are herbcides? to humans? pets?
I'm curious, why are you asking this question? Are you concerned for your own health due to repeated exposure? Are you wanting to better inform your customers? If you are being honest about having your license you should have learned all about the harmful effects of pesticides. Remember they taught us that {hazard=toxicity x exposure}. Each pesticide is going to have different harmful affects. You should always try to reduce your exposure as much as possible. Read and follow the labels of what you're applying and wear proper ppe. The skin is always at biggest risk of exposure so protect it wisely. Also, it's a good idea to learn about the signs and symptoms of pesticide poisoning. You can never be too careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986 View Post
It's kind of sad that here in Missouri all you need is a 70% to pass the test and get your license. Anyone could walk in off the street and pass the core test. The category testes are a little tougher but not extremely hard.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally, I won't even touch them. Interested to see what the consensus is on here.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Let's just say I will never offer total lawn area broadcast spraying for herbicides and my application tags for 2014 will have a spray time added with emphasis on spot spraying only. "Less Chemical" approach. I only offer it for my fertilization clients and mowing client who abide by my standards of higher mowing heights.
Posted via Mobile Device