Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

..Then he probably sold you on setting one up :-) J/k. they do provide protection.but its slim. a person sues your company for 750,000. your company has a 500,000 policy. they seize the rest of the assets for 50,000. there is 200,000 remaining. They could and likely would sue the board members. Who are the board members?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

A single-member LLC affords you almost zero protection against torts based on your actions. If an employee does something, you have some degree of protection as long as you have kept your business and personal finances completely separate. In other words, your receipts for trimmer line doesn't have sodas for the kids on them, you're cutting a paycheck for yourself each week instead of just transferring random amounts of money to your personal account, etc. Unfortunately, a good lawyer can tear down most single-member LLCs out there.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

So if the "family business" is starting out on just mowing lawns (weed whacking/trimming), snow blowing, and working for banks w/ home repoes may not have any benefits on having an LLC? We will not be hiring outside of family.

In my state, it is $25 to send in to Sec of State for business name, or I can go the LLC route that would include the name being legalized. Will I also need an EIN?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In most states you just register your business and name with the county clerk for like $15, get an EIN from the IRS and a sales tax number from the state taxation dept that gives you authority to collect sales tax (if you are required to collect sales tax on what you will be doing in your state). You then operate as a sole proprietor, the simplest way of doing business. As long as you pay your taxes on April 15 nobody will bother you.

So to answer your question nobody cares how your business is set up. I wouldn't waste any money until you are ready to go S corp or a full C corp and only an accountant can tell you that.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
In most states you just register your business and name with the county clerk for like $15, get an EIN from the IRS and a sales tax number from the state taxation dept that gives you authority to collect sales tax (if you are required to collect sales tax on what you will be doing in your state). You then operate as a sole proprietor, the simplest way of doing business. As long as you pay your taxes on April 15 nobody will bother you.

So to answer your question nobody cares how your business is set up. I wouldn't waste any money until you are ready to go S corp or a full C corp and only an accountant can tell you that.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What Tax benefits?
The IRS Does not recognize LLC's.

It does not protect you or separate you and your company assets. Especially if you are a single member or you and your wife or you and your single business partner. I think I may have made a mistake going with an LLC. But for $300 a year I figure what the hell.
Um, yes it does, but to an extent. An LLC (limited liability company) won't protect you if you run someone over with your mower, but it will protect you if you underbid a $250,000 job and need to declare bankruptcy. I have no idea why people think that an LLC instantly protects your personal assets from legal situations that you are personally responsible for.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Um, yes it does, but to an extent. An LLC (limited liability company) won't protect you if you run someone over with your mower, but it will protect you if you underbid a $250,000 job and need to declare bankruptcy. I have no idea why people think that an LLC instantly protects your personal assets from legal situations that you are personally responsible for.
Right!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LLC are the latest way to incorporate a business with the greatest tax benefits. Allows for pass through taxation. Easy to have multiple partners added as well. A CPA will probably agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets this. Case in point. What happened to Bernie Madoffs personal property? Was that protected by his corporation? The ultimate rule in this great country "you can sue anybody for anything"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys are carrying this way to far and it is misleading. An LLC has a purpose and carrying the proper amount of insurance has a purpose. Together you have a legit company and for the most part are protected.