Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Shrub trimming

How do I go about charging for trimming shrubs ? And instead of another thread what about leaf clean up ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You charge your hourly rate.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge more than my regular mowing rate. Its much more labor intensive. Once you have done them enough and can estimate fairly close how long it will take you, charge by the job accordingly. Then your customer will know the exact cost instead of you just saying x per hour. Same thing with leaf clean ups.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

some charge $5 for a small shrub, $10 for a medium, and $15 for a large one. others just charge an hourly rate.

the hourly rate thing is tough because for some reason it always takes longer than you thought it would. i try to price these jobs high because i don't enjoy doing it to begin with.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
some charge $5 for a small shrub, $10 for a medium, and $15 for a large one. others just charge an hourly rate.

the hourly rate thing is tough because for some reason it always takes longer than you thought it would. i try to price these jobs high because i don't enjoy doing it to begin with.
I agree, trimming bush is my least favorite thing about this job.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

Ha, I thought I was the only one who estimated jobs by pricing each plant to trim. Small stuff is $5, and goes up fr there. I usually tack on an additional 15% after, to make sure I'm definitely in good standing, and then a dump fee that's 4x the price per pound of the dump site I use (it's cheap, but kind of far). I've never had even the biggest loads cost more than $12.

Charging by the plant is definitely the easiest way to estimate. I'm usually dead on or slightly above my hourly rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going to try pricing my next hedge trimming job by the bush next time; it sounds like a good idea. I also try to factor in how difficult the cleanup is going to be. If most of the bushes are near a tree line, you don't have to worry as much about picking up/blowing out each little remnant of clippings (as you could rake up the large stuff and blow the dust and very small pieces into the trees) like you would if the bushes were in a white crushed marble bed.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
I am going to try pricing my next hedge trimming job by the bush next time; it sounds like a good idea. I also try to factor in how difficult the cleanup is going to be. If most of the bushes are near a tree line, you don't have to worry as much about picking up/blowing out each little remnant of clippings (as you could rake up the large stuff and blow the dust and very small pieces into the trees) like you would if the bushes were in a white crushed marble bed.
I usually just set each bush's price based on all the factors, including the clean up. You look, decide, and move on. I write it all down in a notebook, add it up, and hand the customer an estimate sheet filled in by hand. A 40 plant trimming estimate then only takes 10 minutes to do, rather than looking over the property five times, and then throwing out an arbitrary number you hope they'll like and meets your bottom line. Takes all the guesswork out.
Posted via Mobile Device