Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What do u think?

I have a weekly client that I serviced regularly for the past 2 years. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I did a pruning job at his place and while I was there, I noticed that he had bought a mower (saw it in his garage). He said: " yeah my wife had me get one just in case there was a day that you couldn't make it and don't get nervous". Last week, I text him to let him know I was coming the next day and he said to please skip a week bc it really didn't grow. Sooooo, today I text him (the day before service) as I always do to let him know I will be there, he says: "I already took care of it bc my wife was on my case about it getting too long". So I said ok and I'll be there next week. He said: "I will keep you posted"!...... I was wondering, for those veteran ops out there, does it sound to you that I am being jerked around? Something about this isn't quite sitting right with me. What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he wants to have you "on call" as it looks like he is doing, explain to him that you have an established route and schedule that you need to stick to. We had one customer that wanted to call us when the yard needed done and I told her up front we don't work like that for the very reasons I listed above. When customers start acting flaky we usually just drop them. They will be replaced in a day or two anyway.

Don't get all wrapped around the axle over one customer. They come and they go. They come back. Simple as that.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
If he wants to have you "on call" as it looks like he is doing, explain to him that you have an established route and schedule that you need to stick to. We had one customer that wanted to call us when the yard needed done and I told her up front we don't work like that for the very reasons I listed above. When customers start acting flaky we usually just drop them. They will be replaced in a day or two anyway.

Don't get all wrapped around the axle over one customer. They come and they go. They come back. Simple as that.
I'm not worked up over it. Just quite annoying. It seems as if this sort of thing happens every year around this time. If its not that it's the: "Oh, Labor Day has past and summer is over and the grass won't grow anymore". $hit like that. Very frustrating!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time to move on. He doesn't have the guts to tell you he's going to do it from now on and he's waiting for you to call it quits so he doesn't feel bad about it.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, thats the worst kind of customer, well almost as bad as a bad check or realizing they had mowed it the day or two before I show up, and didn't let you know. once I realize a customer is flaky I drop them and make room for the good ones.70 plus accounts means 1 or 2 lost ones doesn't hurt. I do the same if a customer lags on payment or try to skip service.i would call or text him at all let him mow his own yard it maybe a week or two, or maybe next season but he will call you and then you can set the terms in how you do business.dont sweat it.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge a totally different rate for a one time cut. A normal $40 cut is $60 for a one time cut. I get a lot of those one time cuts from people returning from vacation. I charge different for a bi-weekly cut too, that $40 becomes $50. So if my customer did that to me, I would tell them, "You get my best pricing when you are a weekly cut. If you want me to cut it only now and then, you're paying for a one time premium cut.

But YES, it sounds like your customer is screwing with you. On the other hand, they may be experiencing some financial difficulty and really cannot afford to pay you. But regardless, if they call, I would charge a higher rate and then if they continue, you can back it down to your original quoted price.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you text all your customers the day before you are going to cut them, if so why just curious.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sprinkler buddy is right. The customer doesn't have the stones to tell you he is dropping you. Nobody buys an expensive mower and lets it take up space in a garage for just in case scenarios. End it on good terms and he will call you when he needs other things done. You have obviously established a good relationship with him as he doesn't want to tell you that you are no longer needed. If he does call for mowing and isn't on a set schedule, charge him the justa-cut rate :-)

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
Do you text all your customers the day before you are going to cut them, if so why just curious.
No I don't call all of them. Just certain ones that pay when services are rendered. Not my end of month clients. Some tend to forget sometimes and there's no payment left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I charge a totally different rate for a one time cut. A normal $40 cut is $60 for a one time cut. I get a lot of those one time cuts from people returning from vacation. I charge different for a bi-weekly cut too, that $40 becomes $50. So if my customer did that to me, I would tell them, "You get my best pricing when you are a weekly cut. If you want me to cut it only now and then, you're paying for a one time premium cut.

But YES, it sounds like your customer is screwing with you. On the other hand, they may be experiencing some financial difficulty and really cannot afford to pay you. But regardless, if they call, I would charge a higher rate and then if they continue, you can back it down to your original quoted price.
He's definitely got the loot! Kind of brags about it sometimes. He owns 4 laundry mats (all in a busy area) and he has all kinds of expensive stuff/toys. Huge house etc.
Posted via Mobile Device