Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Slice seeding

I am in the market for a SLICE seeder. The brand that I have used in the past is a Salsco, this like the Ryan have discs in the rear of the machine and the seed gets dropped into these "slices" that are made. The other brands that I see on the market all have a hopper in the front of the machine :ie classon, bluebird etc. how do these machines ensure that the seed gets where it is suppose to????
Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfd8 View Post
I am in the market for a SLICE seeder. The brand that I have used in the past is a Salsco, this like the Ryan have discs in the rear of the machine and the seed gets dropped into these "slices" that are made. The other brands that I see on the market all have a hopper in the front of the machine :ie classon, bluebird etc. how do these machines ensure that the seed gets where it is suppose
to????
The holes where the seed drops out are inline with the blades therefore the machine slices the seed into the soil.
The best power seeder I have used is Lawn Solutions.
The company I used to work for had a Ryan (hated it), then a blue bird and finally the Lawn Solutions. It will seed in reverse also. It is more expensive but well worth it. I think Exmark may have bought out Lawn Solutions but don't quote me on that..
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I get that but how do the other brands drop seed into the slices if the hopper is in the front? Thanks again for getting back to me
Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Solutions seems to be still around but their website is screwed up.

Quote:
Ok I get that but how do the other brands drop seed into the slices if the hopper is in the front?
I posted the same question here a couple of years ago and an engineer from I believe Ryan (and who also worked for one of the other companies) said what Mike A said. But I still have a problem with that because the blades tear up a lot of thatch (even if you de-thatch before slitseeding) and the seed will be in the thatch if you drop it first. I have actually examined the slits and found little or no seed. The only areas where they seem to work is where the turf is really thin and you can see the soil.

So I'm sold on those machines that slit then drop.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree that it makes more sense to work the ground first before u plant (just like a farmer planting crops). But the seed always came up just as well with the lawn solutions machine compared to the other machines that sliced first then dropped. I would purchase one that is self propelled, because if its blade driven you are going to end up pushing it more than you want to...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the Billy Goat seeder. They have redesigned the blades so it doesn't bring up the thatch. If the thatch is 3/4 or greater that will need to come out before you can seed anyway. What happens with the seeders with the seed in front and the knifes in front is that the seed washes into the slits in the ground when you water or it rains.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
The holes where the seed drops out are inline with the blades therefore the machine slices the seed into the soil.
The best power seeder I have used is Lawn Solutions.
The company I used to work for had a Ryan (hated it), then a blue bird and finally the Lawn Solutions. It will seed in reverse also. It is more expensive but well worth it. I think Exmark may have bought out Lawn Solutions but don't quote me on that..
Exmark recently acquired Lawn Solutions and redesigned several of their turf management products, including the Slicer Seeder. Please see our website for more product information. http://exmark.com/Products/ProductLi...e=slicerseeder
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to say I used the Ryan and loved it. Unfortunately I cannot find one nearby anymore. The seed dropped right in the slits and germination was the best I've had. I hated the Bluebird, it seemed to throw the seed all over and a lot of the seed was just laying on top of everything, No soil contact. I would like to find a Lawn Solution to try out, I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfd8 View Post
Ok I get that but how do the other brands drop seed into the slices if the hopper is in the front? Thanks again for getting back to me
Over the years I have helped design / develop two Overseeders the Ryan and the Turfco with extensive testing on both units.
The Ryan slices then drops the seed. Now understand that the seed is dropped close in hopes it will go in the slice. The grass blades tend to redirect the fall of the seed so placement is still up to nature and luck. That is the reason we always told operators to go over the lawn twice. To mix up the seed and to balance the application rate.

The Turfco drops the seed and then cuts the slits. This is the method that had / has been taught for years. The blades mix the seed with the debris as the blades cut the slices. The seed will stay in the debris cover until water hits it, then it will go to a low spot in the lawn (the slits) Going over twice will again balance the seed to make it even all across the area being seeded. Now in the Turfco we used steel twice as thick as the Ryan so it cuts a wider slit and the blades last longer. We also spaced them a half inch closer together 1.5 inches rather than 2 inches. So seeders even go to 3 inch spacing (bad idea). More slices means better opportunity for the seeds to get to a slice when the seed is watered out of the debris covering

You need to decide how much you want to spend in todays market as there are so many selections. Like buying a pickup, how many add ons to you want. It may be important to you to have a wheel propelled machine, if so this will cost you about $1600 to $2000 more than a blade propelled machine. So if you are just spot seeding a few lawns you may want to save some money and go for one that the blades pull along like the Turfco. If you are doing lots of big lawns you will want a wheel driven unit to cut fatigue.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfcibob- Thanks for the info.

I would love to see documentation of tests showing which seeder produces the best germination rates. After all, that is the main objective here.

If you know of any tests that have been done, I'd love to see them.