Register free!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 Consecutive Rains

We have finally got soil moisture into the layers utilized by grass... Unless the turf sucks up all the moisture in order for basic survival and nothing is left behind for future growth,,, I'm expecting that it is now safe to fertilize with the Winterizer...
Overseeding, also,, should now be a priority in getting new growth...

We are getting some germination right now,,, but with a hose... For Exa: I put down seed about a month ago and soaked it in but did nothing to get it to actively grow becuz it was still too hot and dry... lately,,, I've been giving it daily waterings and new seed around the perimeter, which is now growing...

W/out irrigation I am hesitant to overseed in concern about how much time I should invest... Most areas just need more seed to "Thicken up" and look alive, becuz the dirt is visible and the existing turf is growing very slow... So Question is:

How much time would you guys invest in cool-season grasses when ONLY NOW there is enough soil moisture and no guarantee of water going forward???
Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With no rain and no irrigation, I'm not wasting any time or money on overseeding.

We just done a full renovation (harley raked, graded, and leveled) almost 1 acre and planned the seeding to correspond with forcasted rain for 5-6 days. After that, the weekend called for no rain then the front (large area) was done and the forecast calls for another 5-6 days of rain this week. So far it is doing well but we do have tons of hoses and sprinklers on timers set up just in case.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you're in the same boat as we are and you've decided that 1 renovation is enough risk, due to the weather you've been having... I think you're right... I'm not going to put many eggs in the renovation basket this Fall either... Dormant Seeding will have to be the main-stay once again...
Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have done 3 slice overseed jobs, but 2 are irrigated. The other one, the lady says they will water intensively, after I instructed her how to do so. Then I made sure to spell out that the seed job is NOT GUARANTEED. That is your ticket right there. Never guarantee overseed jobs.

You are right, this late summer and now into fall is looking dry, dry, dry. Really is not ideal for seeding. I have told a few people wait till spring cause that seems to be when we get an abundance of rainfall. I had TREMENDOUS success slice seeding in April/May this year.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are also supposed to have an abundance of rainfall in the Autumn as it is leading up to Snow,,, but that has not happened in the past couple of years...

Now I'm thinking that putting seed down now while the ground has moisture,,, will at least get the seed planted deep enough with soil contact...
Then if it dries out it will still be ready to germinate when conditions do improve... Same principle as Dormant Seeding...

Worse case scenario is that the seed germinates,,, then dies during another October drought...
Can we get 3 of October Droughts in a row???

I'm betting on a decent Fall weather pattern this year...