Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which Way to Install Clutch in Trimmers??

Okay, I'm confused!!!!!! I was reassembling my new to me Echo 266 (discussed in different thread) today. Thought I had left the bolts in the clutch the way they came out, but it was with the "R" showing and direction arrow was opposite direction engine rotation. Came in and looked at the clutch diagram on one of my favorite parts suppliers, and it showed the way I thought it should--"L" on the shaft side, which would have the arrows going the direction the engine turns--so that's the way I installed it. Put it back together, pulled the starter rope, and it made a terrible sound. Took it apart, flipped clutch over so that "R" is on shaft side, arrow is different direction from engine rotation, reassembled, pulled rope, sounded great. I then started it and it sounds and operates great.

I'm now really confused on which way to install a clutch, and I've probably installed a hundred or more???? Any words of wisdom for me--maybe other than quit--believe me I've thought about it??
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here you go. I have installed many shoes and never payed attention. On a shinduwa I reversed them to change response. Shoes are exactly same. So maybe it makes no difference? Interesting nobody seems to run echo long enough to change shoes.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ed, thanks for the picture--worth a thousand words, and that's exactly the way the parts diagram showed. Installed it this way the 1st time, pulled the starter rope and heard a clanging sound. Turned the clutch around and it worked perfect. Used it today for a couple hours, ran great on the Red Armor mix.

Maybe it really doesn't matter which way the clutch is installed--I've always installed the way the parts diagram shows if I failed to remember how the old clutch came off. I'm probably overthinking this--always thought it had to be turned one certain way so that the rotation of the engine made the clutch shoes go out. Makes me wonder what the "R" and "L" and directional arrows mean.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Ed, thanks for the picture--worth a thousand words, and that's exactly the way the parts diagram showed. Installed it this way the 1st time, pulled the starter rope and heard a clanging sound. Turned the clutch around and it worked perfect. Used it today for a couple hours, ran great on the Red Armor mix.

Maybe it really doesn't matter which way the clutch is installed--I've always installed the way the parts diagram shows if I failed to remember how the old clutch came off. I'm probably overthinking this--always thought it had to be turned one certain way so that the rotation of the engine made the clutch shoes go out. Makes me wonder what the "R" and "L" and directional arrows mean.
Actually it matters quiet a lot, your clutch is centrifugal in design. The clutch shoes are designed to swing out during acceleration to contact the clutch drum. When you pull the Recoil on this unit your flywheel spins CCW and your clutch needs to be installed with the L side showing. Most hedge trimmers spin CW and the clutch is installed with the R showing. If you install them wrong they will not work properly.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMedic77 View Post
Actually it matters quiet a lot, your clutch is centrifugal in design. The clutch shoes are designed to swing out during acceleration to contact the clutch drum. When you pull the Recoil on this unit your flywheel spins CCW and your clutch needs to be installed with the L side showing. Most hedge trimmers spin CW and the clutch is installed with the R showing. If you install them wrong they will not work properly.
This is what I've thought--okay now I'm going to have to look at both my 266, the new one will not have had the shoes removed, and I'm betting it looks like the picture that Ed posted. Unless my old age is really getting to me, the 266 that I've been posting about now has the shoes turned with the "R" showing--and it worked perfect today.

Will post again after looking at both units.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clutch Works Turned Either Way

Finally had some time to look at the clutch on the Echo 266 today. I had it installed with the "R" showing, directional arrows were pointing clockwise. I've used this trimmer for hours with the clutch installed this way, and it worked perfect. Today, I flipped the clutch over so that the "L" is showing, and directional arrows are pointing counter-clockwise (this is the way the parts diagram shows). Just used the trimmer for a few minutes, but it worked perfect.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that some of us thought it had to be turned a specific direction, and ad least one--Ed Hess--said he never worried about it. It appears that Ed was right--and to think I've worried about this on dozens of clutches over the past years.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meant to attach pictures--1st time to try this so we'll see what happens.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Meant to attach pictures--1st time to try this so we'll see what happens.
Okay--that didn't work!!!