Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When is this ok

Hey guys... Not really my side of the forum but I love reading through... Anyway a commercial client of us has an irrigation system we have to adjust occasionally (yea were those guy that touch the clock box) anyway I needed to look at some valve wires in the box and I noticed some box connections had two field wires it was feeding. When is it acceptable to run 2 zones off one terminal in the box? Also this location doesn't have one but can someone explain what a master valve is, and how it pertains to a irrigation layout?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the controller, running two field wires isn't really a big deal, sometimes guys gang zones together based on similarities in conditions, etc..etc.. It's not a practice I use, but I see it a fair amount on commercial service.

Master valve simply put is the valve that acts as a parent to all other valves. In order for any other valve to operate, the master must open first. It's biggest benefit is it keeps all the pressure on one valve as opposed to an always pressurized mainline that keeps the entire system under pressure at all times. There are other small advantages, but that's it in a nutshell. Some guys hate them because they disguise leaks in the mainline, but I personally put a master on every system I install.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few different reasons for running zones together. Sometimes on a well system it is to use more water to keep the pump from cycling. Sometimes it is to make the total run time shorter and keep the run time in a preffered watering window.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. So lets assume it's not on a well because I don't see many of them. As long as flow rates are ok, the electrical aspect of wiring two zones together is not an issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Thanks. So lets assume it's not on a well because I don't see many of them. As long as flow rates are ok, the electrical aspect of wiring two zones together is not an issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Most controllers can operate a MV and two zones consecutively. True commercial controllers can handle 6 zones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the good info guys. Last one... What would be the issue/ potential damage to hooking up two many zones to one terminal? Electrical overload/fire possible? Or would the zones just not function properly, if at all.

I not doing this, just like to know when and where something an be done and what the dangers are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Thanks for the good info guys. Last one... What would be the issue/ potential damage to hooking up two many zones to one terminal? Electrical overload/fire possible? Or would the zones just not function properly, if at all.

I not doing this, just like to know when and where something an be done and what the dangers are.
Posted via Mobile Device
The valves would not work due to lack of juice. You might get some type of error message at the controller depending on the model. I don't think there would be a danger of fire, just wouldn't work right.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The class 2 transformers that all controllers use can't be much overloaded without an internal fuse link blowing, cutting off power. Always, the controller circuitry limits the current draw far short of this point.