Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back in about 2005 I was looking at buying a 48" Cub Cadet Tank. It was available with a Kawasaki or a Honda and I don't remember the horsepower. They had both, but the sales guy was recommending the Kawasaki. I ended up buying a Bad Boy with a Kawasaki.

It would have been interesting to see how the Honda worked out.

Larry
Old 09-18-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember Honda had an articulating type "all purpose" mower/tractor out a while back. It was pretty wild, had 4wd, cat 1 hitch, I think you could get gas or diesel.... I'm just curious today I suppose.... haha
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I remember Honda had an articulating type "all purpose" mower/tractor out a while back. It was pretty wild, had 4wd, cat 1 hitch, I think you could get gas or diesel.... I'm just curious today I suppose.... haha
There are a few of them for sale on CL here in MI, and they've been for sale for a couple years off and on. One is located not too far from us and that one has been for sale for about 4-5 years now. I guess he thinks the Honda name is gonna bring him in his asking price.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always asked the same question the OP has stated. Honda makes one of the best engines out there, you can run them forever and they never quit kickin'. If Honda was to start making 25, 27 and even 30+ HP engines, it would put Kawasaki and Kohler both on their toes. Does anyone remember those old Honda lawn tractors like the HT3813? It was a lawn tractor with a engine like a car(not exactly but similar), a 2 cylinder horizontal shaft liquid cooled engine. If Honda could engineer and design higher HP engines in a similar fashion like they did those old lawn tractor engines, they would do well in the ZTR market IMO. Can you imagine how many hours you could get out of a engine like that. They would be a big hit. Especially for Grasshopper, Walker, and any other ZTR that uses a horizontal engine.

Heres a Youtube video of the engine I speak of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqfidPPUhI
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers

Last edited by banjoman; 09-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
I have always asked the same question the OP has stated. Honda makes one of the best engines out there, you can run them forever and they never quit kickin'. If Honda was to start making 25, 27 and even 30+ HP engines, it would put Kawasaki and Kohler both on their toes. Does anyone remember those old Honda lawn tractors like the HT3813? It was a lawn tractor with a engine like a car(not exactly but similar), a 2 cylinder horizontal shaft liquid cooled engine. If Honda could engineer and design higher HP engines in a similar fashion like they did those old lawn tractor engines, they would do well in the ZTR market IMO. Can you imagine how many hours you could get out of a engine like that. They would be a big hit. Especially for Grasshopper, Walker, and any other ZTR that uses a horizontal engine.

Heres a Youtube video of the engine I speak of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqfidPPUhI
It would compete with the Kubota gas engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag ran the 24 hp Honda on some of their older models a few years back. Everybody that I knew said that was the best engine they offered.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
They build one heck of an engine but until they significantly bump up the displacement of the GX/GXV (currently 688cc/22hp) and introduce a large displacement GCV series for the residential machines, you're not going to see them on Z's

Q
They already tried the second one. It was a GCV520/530 and then turned into the GXV520/530....and the residential people didnt use it for some reason...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They should make a 1250cc EFI for a ZTR and it would sell good for 60 to 72 inch cuts. A 40 to 45 HP for a 72.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler offered Honda engines on their Fastrak high end residential mowers of just a few years back and I think they were pretty well received. I could be wrong but I think Southern Indiana Equip has some Fastrac's w/Hondas on their showroom floor. There's a really clean 48" 20hp Fastrak with 450 hours for sale not too far away from me now. Ask is $2650.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda definitely makes a great line of engines. Maybe one day they'll get into selling commercial ztr engines.