Register free!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed roots

How deep are the roots on a newly germinated seed? Now you know. About the same length as the top of the plant. These seedlings are 12 days old; they were planted without any attempt to bury the seed, on loose, screened, purchased topsoil. Roots were about a maximum of 2 inches deep.

Planted in a low container outside, but moved inside when the nights were cold (below 50).
This seed is Scotts "High Traffic", which is high in "Uno" perennial ryegrass. It was coated with a water absorbent coating. No fertilizer was applied.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting. Looks like you will outgrow that container soon. I have posted some seed trials that included a look at root mass but never though to look so early couldn't stand to pull the little guys out. I would have to go back and look but I think I dug samples and washed the soil off somewhere around 30 days. It was a surprising amount of growth, I remember that much.

Nice going, Riggle.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One Spring I put seed in my Raised Bed Garden that had Full Sun... the seed germinated and stayed less than one in tall for a couple of weeks,,, so I began pulling them out one by one,,, and found the "Visible" roots to be over 3" long... Remember,,, most of the work done by roots are done by the microscopic 'Root Hairs',,, so it is difficult to say just how long they actually were...