Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, had a go today and all I can say is... FAIL!

Found the plug and the star "thingy" but it wouldnt turn. There is so little space and going off a mirror didnt help much either. To be honest, I didnt know which way to turn it and if it was the wrong way, I dont know how I would of got it back. Just no room to turn that star thing.

I did release the breaks, adjusted to medium on the turn buckle thing but still no go.

Fortunately my local mechanic will try and squeeze it in today between other jobs and get it sorted. He'll take the hub apart and check it all out and adjust from the inside.

What I did see is that it hasnt been adjusted right for a long time. Im pretty sure this is the side that had the failure and replaced. Unfortunately know one adjusted it properly.
As you can see from the botom left pic, the "lever" has been hitting the frame for some time. Long enough to wear it down. God only knows how much stress this has put on the linkages.
The other side had a lot more room to adjust but even with it almost hitting the frame it still wouldnt hold on even a minor slope.

So yeah, what a PITA!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Mickhappy,
The automotive field has a spoon wrench that is made for that star. Not sure with your machine but a car will not allow you to turn the key backwards, or I should say the wrong way. Because of shocks and brake lines you can't go straight in. Might be worth looking into. If that star is frozen you'll need to remove the hub. Or carry an anchor to throw off if you need to stop.

TTGS
Old 10-02-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
..... Im pretty sure this is the side that had the failure and replaced.....
You've been holding back on the facts here !
What's this failure/replacement that you didn't tell us about ?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks mate but had my mate have a look, taking the hub apart etc. Theres more going on/wrong that just an adjustment.
I cant say much more about it!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Sponsor

Mickhippy,
Never heard of that before... just kidding, it always bugged me when a guy from the factory would say that. service bull 505 issued in June of 2012 addressed loose wheel motor bolts. We got it down to a serial number range and yes I was seeing it happen under 150 hours. If you had a loose bolt it would have showed up by then. We asked all the dealers to inspect their inventory that fell within this range and also any unit coming in for service. We covered the cost of the inspection. In a perfect world, if you have an affected machine and brought it in for an oil change the dealer should have removed the drums and checked the bolts.
If you have more than 200 hours on your machine I'm thinking you got something else going on. Shoot me the serial # and I'll check if it's in the range. If your mate needs the SB on hub removal and install let me know.

Brian O

Brian O