Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk95 View Post
2% is going to average each tech between $10,000-$13,000 per year just on what they do now. Not counting what they add to their routes. Apparently I am not talking to the right people here. I can't imagine any tech rolling their eyes at that and telling us how little they care about it, or that they think it is pittance either. Thanks for all the help... This is why I stopped coming to this site years ago. A lot of people with smart a** answers that claim to know it all without understanding what they are talking about. I thought maybe things may have gotten better by now but I see it has not changed much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here are my thoughts from a Techs perspective...

16x8=$128/day hourly wage.
2% of 2000 = $40/day (additional money for doing the job I am already getting paid for)

I sell something to a customer that adds $50/week times 2% gets me another $1/week. There is no need for me to bring in more sales or grow my route if I am only getting 2% of gross sales.

Do you see the problem here? You have not left yourself room to add additional incentive to upsell anything. 2% of any additional sales is nothing compared to what you are paying them per hour plus paying them an additional 2% for work they are already getting paid for. The problem is you are offering additional money which gets you nothing in return except maybe a better retention rate.

Your goal seems to be to offer some type of profit sharing or sharing of gross sales to increase sales and that is fine. The way you are trying to implement it is severely flawed.

Maybe I completely misunderstood what you are trying to do here but it seems a few others are thinking along the same lines I am.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't think that you guys understand what I am asking. Maybe I am wording it wrong. We pay our guys 16-18 dollars per hour, they will keep that and continue to get raises plus overtime. What I am wondering is about offering 2% of total production done per day for each guys route. Each individual tech averages $2000-$2500 per day, but that doest not count grub control, aeration, fungicides, lime, perimeter peat control, tick control and tree and shrub control that may also be done in the same route. They would also be getting 2% of that. Everything done in that route would pay them 2% payable at the end of each month. They would continue to get the normal paycheck. Is that more clear?
Posted via Mobile Device
$2000-2500 per truck per day?

What is your avg k per day per truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
$2000-2500 per truck per day?

What is your avg k per day per truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Every truck that leaves our shop each morning does between 380,000 -400,000 square feet. We have ten trucks out every day doing just lawns. Like I said before... Maybe I asked this question in the wrong place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you avg almost 9 acres per truck per day at an avg of $250 an acre?
If u are doing that well the heck with a bonus just pay your guys $75000 a year.

I have 7 trucks and many days we have a several trucks bit hit 8-10 acres but not an avg. 400-450 acres a week is crazy.
Good for you buddy!
Where are you located to avg $250 an acre?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rcreech; 09-21-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Every truck that leaves our shop each morning does between 380,000 -400,000 square feet. We have ten trucks out every day doing just lawns. Like I said before... Maybe I asked this question in the wrong place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is your Company called AMERICANLAWN????

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Ah ha FACE!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Finally someone else willing to call shinanagins. We have one truck that runs with 2 guys that is lucky to break 300M a day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Finally someone else willing to call shinanagins. We have one truck that runs with 2 guys that is lucky to break 300M a day
Posted via Mobile Device
Guy that runs our zmax does 400k a day avg. he can do 600k on occasion. Guys that run the hose do 200-250k a day. They are worn out and ill at 5pm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Tight routes, large lawns, close to shop, large capacity trucks...you might pull that off...average that on a daily basis... I just don't see it. Not sure how you(or your guys) could keep up that pace, even with overtime. Sure, you can produce that much in a typical day but QUALITY WORK and CUSTOMER RETENTION just went out the window and God help them if using a hose/gun. You would be sending them out on the "Batan Death March" daily. From what I'm reading, you've got your boot heel in your employees back side and your customers have got to be getting inferior service because of it.

IMO, if you want to keep your guys around longer, get rid of the high quotas that are only doable at breakneck speed, give them some realistic daily/weekly goals to achieve and pay them a "bonus" for route growth for the season based on Gross Revenue. Pay it monthly, if that works best. If you inform them well on the front end , it should encourage quality work, customer retention(they go hand in hand IMO) upsells for additional services/programs to existing customers and new customer sales. You get the additional gross revenue and they get a regular percentage of that plus you get to stop watching the "revolving door" of employees and customers. Everyone wins.