Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Congrats to you for pulling 500k+ from each tech. You da man.
Posted via Mobile Device
I need to move there.....actually, fire all my employees...500k gross with just me working would be far simpler and net me at least 250 or 300k
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Tight routes, large lawns, close to shop, large capacity trucks...you might pull that off...average that on a daily basis... I just don't see it. Not sure how you(or your guys) could keep up that pace, even with overtime. Sure, you can produce that much in a typical day but QUALITY WORK and CUSTOMER RETENTION just went out the window and God help them if using a hose/gun. You would be sending them out on the "Batan Death March" daily. From what I'm reading, you've got your boot heel in your employees back side and your customers have got to be getting inferior service because of it.

IMO, if you want to keep your guys around longer, get rid of the high quotas that are only doable at breakneck speed, give them some realistic daily/weekly goals to achieve and pay them a "bonus" for route growth for the season based on Gross Revenue. Pay it monthly, if that works best. If you inform them well on the front end , it should encourage quality work, customer retention(they go hand in hand IMO) upsells for additional services/programs to existing customers and new customer sales. You get the additional gross revenue and they get a regular percentage of that plus you get to stop watching the "revolving door" of employees and customers. Everyone wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well spoken!!!!

We would have no problem hitting 380-400k per day on many of our routes. That isn't that much with larger lawns and ride ons. You can pretty easily cover 90-100+k per hour on larger lawns. But the cost per k also drops on larger lawns too.

We do a lot of larger lawns and with our current pricing We would have to hit 16-18 acres per day to achive $2500 per truck. And our pricing is very good for our area.

Just not possible for my guys and to keep them happy.

They need to enjoy their job and then at 4 enjoy their family.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Must be custom turf in butler pa. Pay them 15% of total sale and a additional percent each visit up to 20% for that yr only. Work 4 10's with an option of overtime or make up day due to rain or production make-up.
Stihl FS70 Trimmer
Echo Blower
Echo Shears
Commercial Spreader
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm just a small company. So I don't know if this will help. But I do know if you reward your people fast they will enjoy doing the extra work you require of them. So I pay my guys $10 cash for every new client they sign and treat that day. Some times its only one client, and the most in one day was 18. But that was cash in his pocket. I only have two guys. I don't know what its like to have 10 or more like you guys do.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrx View Post
I'm just a small company. So I don't know if this will help. But I do know if you reward your people fast they will enjoy doing the extra work you require of them. So I pay my guys $10 cash for every new client they sign and treat that day. Some times its only one client, and the most in one day was 18. But that was cash in his pocket. I only have two guys. I don't know what its like to have 10 or more like you guys do.
Posted via Mobile Device

FYI

It's illegal to pay employees cash

Last edited by rcreech; 09-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

<<It's illegal to pay employees cash>>

You can pay them with anything you want as long as you do the proper withholding and reporting http://www.ehow.com/info_8480920_lab...yees-cash.html.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckPMi View Post
<<It's illegal to pay employees cash>>

You can pay them with anything you want as long as you do the proper withholding and reporting http://www.ehow.com/info_8480920_lab...yees-cash.html.
Ok then.....
Why would u pay them cash? What would be the advantage to the employer?

I am sure he is taking about paying them under the table and as I stated THAT IS ILLEGAL!

That's what "paying them cash" means to me.

I am sure that the IRS frowns on cash as their is no paper trail also.

Just not a good practice...but what do I know!
I don't do it so I don't have to worry about it.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think he was referring to my information that the quicker the reward--the stronger the reinforcement. A well-known principle from psychology. Conversely, if the money reward is delayed a week or two--the reinforcement to work hard in the future is much reduced.
Check is better--but sooner is better.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I think he was referring to my information that the quicker the reward--the stronger the reinforcement. A well-known principle from psychology. Conversely, if the money reward is delayed a week or two--the reinforcement to work hard in the future is much reduced.
Check is better--but sooner is better.
That is what I was trying to say.