Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hedge Trimmer

Just replaced the cutter ASY on my AH231

Mine was dull and bent up from loaning it out one time awhile back and I think they thought it was a chain saw. Never will loan it again, I knew better but I went against my own rule and paid for it. lol

I forgot how nice this hedger was, zipped through my box woods like a hot knife on butter.

As we all know in this business, good hedgers aren't cheap. I'm glad I ordered the cutter ASY and it was easy to swap out. It even sounds completely different now.

If yours is dull or bent I urge you to replace your cutter asy and save yourself some $$$. I ordered mine at "Pats small engine". First time I ordered from them, they have $7.95 flat rate shipping so I ordered 4 spindle asy also. They had the lowest prices I have seen anywhere online and they offer OEM or aftermarket parts.

I'm defiantly a satisfied customer and will most certainly use them again.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll check them out. Maybe get a new cutter bar for my small trimmer and dedicate it to only boxwoods. Boxwoods have always been a problem for me, looking like they'd been chewed off by beavers. Not easy to cut as taxis yews.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My old bent cutter blades would cut anything but box woods, just about every account I have has some box woods. Know all about the beaver look and the pain in the rear to make them look that good with a worn out cutter. lol The time it saves with the new cutter will far pay for itself and make trimming shrubs not such a chore.

Just realized its "Pat's Small Engine Plus" They are in MN You wont believe their prices! BIG TIME SAVINGS!

If anyone knows a place with better prices, do share!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their hedge trimmers look like they are cheaply made imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking to get a chainsaw and I see that their off brand saws are more expensive than the echo 18in bar saw I'm very interested in. Not to mention that I also get dealer support rather than online customer support rofl
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just Googled them to find their website and I see also that they get pretty sorry reviews.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think I have used them once before. J Thomas has flat rate shipping as well. For certain OEM parts I also have used Russo in Chicago but not as much now since it seems the prices have gone up.

I used dealerpartscost.com for a Honda HRC-216 hydro trans a while back and the cost was only $319! Everyone else wanted about $415. I like my local people but I can't afford to give away money if I can help it.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-22-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't buy any big ticket items from anyone online. I'm talking replacement parts that aren't covered under warranty for those that do their own basic repairs.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think I used Pat's when the Ogura clutch went out on one of my mowers. They had the best price and I got the part quickly. When your a high volume place there is always going to be someone who is unhappy. What you won't find online is the 99.9% of the sales they probably due where everyone is happy. I had even called Pat's to ask them a question or two to insure I had the correct part.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Update. Yesterday I had to use my 18" Stihl trimmer. "Stihl" cutting bad. I got to looking at it, the cutter blades were freshly sharpened, the anvil side didn't look bad either.
So I took the cutter bar apart. It was full of gum and sap between the blades. I scraped it all out with a screwdriver & wire brush. Now it cuts great! Amazing what a little maintenance will do.
When I had it apart I noticed what a lousy sharpening job I'd done trying to sharpen it assembled. From now on I'm taking it apart to sharpen it. That'll probably even save me time because I'll be able to get the file in there easier.