Register free!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Help Please, Winter Rye put down on 30 acres

How would you guys charge to put down winter rye on 30 acres, i will be buying 50 pound bags. How much does 50 pounds cover? I was told it covers 1.5 acres but to me it just doesn't sound right.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We seed on acerage 4 to 5 pounds per 1000 SG feet. We did a 10 acre job and it was 5 digits so just keep in mind your price is going to be expensive just for rye for the winter
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what you want it to look like. 1 bag on an 1 1/2 acres will only look green from a distance. For lawns I use about 4 to 5 bags per acre. If it is something you'll be mowing the intermediate rye cuts much better than annual rye. Color is better also.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I overseed at the standard 7 pounds per thousand square foot. 30 acres is 1,306,800 square feet or 1,307 thousands. Multiply by 7 and you get 9149 pounds of grass seed. That is 183 fifty pound bags. How many bags of seed are on a pallet? 50? You should be able to work a good deal on 4 pallets of grass seed.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Winter rye up here is an annual.It is 56 lbs to the bushel.Decent coverage is roughly 2 bushel per acre.Do not know how it grows down your way but it takes off growing crazy about April 20 or so depending on past winter snow coverage.IMO on 30 acres around 4000 lbs should do you after you figure your spreader out.But that should not be hard to do.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I could probably do it for 8 thousand.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clarify, please. Is this an agricultural situation? Is this planted on tilled bare soil? Grain rye? Cover crop?
http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/fac...winterrye.html

Or...do you mean ryegrass as in an overseed of a Bermuda grass golf course; (usually perennial rye--although it dies out in the heat next year). 20 pounds per thousand sqft is not unusual (880 lbs per acre)(27,000 lbs).

Do you plan to power rake or aerate to help the seed get started?

If yellow color and low quality is acceptable--perhaps you can use cheaper annual rye.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Or...do you mean ryegrass as in an overseed of a Bermuda grass golf course; (usually perennial rye--although it dies out in the heat next year). 20 pounds per thousand sqft is not unusual (880 lbs per acre)(27,000 lbs).
Perennial rye does not die out. Annual rye is the type that dies out. A perennial is a plant that comes back, year after year. Annual is a once and done plant.

I wouldn't want any parts of an overseed that has 20 pounds of annual rye per 1,000 square foot. It would be virtually impossible to cut it. If you had any experience with annual rye you would know this.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perennial rye does die in late spring. It just has better color and cut quality. Costs more too. I use intermediate rye (harbour), can't deal with the price of the perennial. The name can be confusing. Around here they use more seed on greens than I ever used on lawns and I used to seed at 10 lbs / 1000 sf.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Around here they use more seed on greens than I ever used on lawns and I used to seed at 10 lbs / 1000 sf.
It amazes me how quickly and thoroughly golf courses make these transitions every year. It is just a routine part of their annual maintenance - an expensive one - that we never have to even think about in the north. It is an entirely different skill set most of us, myself included, would not do very well with.