LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you need help with the meter just ask
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

You guys are right. I need to get ohms readings first to better understand what I am working with. Ive just read through a book on irrigation troubleshooting and get the feeling I may have a handle on it.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can certainly help with the electronics but their are forum members hear that know significantly more about Irrigation than I do... A few things to remember when ohm testing, resistance is non directional it doesn't mater where you place the leads within the isolated circuit your testing your resistance reading will be the same. you can only ohms test non powered circuits this is why 1idejim said to disconnect. (the reason why dmm's have battery's) You said your meter is cheap that's fine but its most likely a ranging meter so pay attention to what your range is otherwise you can get odd readings like OL or runaway numbers that are gibberish. with cheap meters it is not hard to think your in Kohm when your in Mohm. and all the sub modes within the ohm mode can confuse. Give cheap meters time their not as fast as higher end models so let your numbers settle it can take as long as 5 seconds I had a tutorial on youtube on meter usage but it was for a advanced hi end bench model so those won't be helpful
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
. you can only ohms test non powered circuits this is why 1idejim said to disconnect. (the reason why dmm's have battery's)
I usually measure R through the controller unless there sections that I am isolating. Normally I turn the controller to off but will on ocassion disconnect the common. That is one reason for measuring R first.
Quote:
You said your meter is cheap that's fine but its most likely a ranging meter so pay attention to what your range is otherwise you can get odd readings like OL or runaway numbers that are gibberish. with cheap meters it is not hard to think your in Kohm when your in Mohm. and all the sub modes within the ohm mode can confuse. Give cheap meters time their not as fast as higher end models so let your numbers settle it can take as long as 5 seconds I had a tutorial on youtube on meter usage but it was for a advanced hi end bench model so those won't be helpful
Unless a True RMS meter is required I use an inexpensive manually adjustable DMM. I like the versatility of non auto ranging meters. I would like to see your video, how about a link
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not get too buzzed about old school meters, unless you were really in trouble. This meter, designed by my nerd brother-in-law, has served me well. The big deal, is to have it calibrated every year or so, depending on use.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I would not get too buzzed about old school meters, unless you were really in trouble. This meter, designed by my nerd brother-in-law, has served me well. The big deal, is to have it calibrated every year or so, depending on use.
When the most popular brand of multimeter in most irrigators trucks is NONE, I feel any meter serves a purpose. While I feel that quality tools are an investment rather than an expense, knowing how to use a DMM correctly is more important than who made the meter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
who made the meter.
I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "I have the simplest of tastes, I am always satisfied with the best."
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In increasing order of usefulness, are the measurements voltage, resistance, and current. Voltage alone can mislead, because a meter doesn't load down the circuit like a solenoid does. Resistance usually shows enough to work with.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
In increasing order of usefulness, are the measurements voltage, resistance, and current. Voltage alone can mislead, because a meter doesn't load down the circuit like a solenoid does. Resistance usually shows enough to work with.
I feel that one cannot rank these values in one specific order of importance Boots. There is too much to be learned from each of these measurements and their order of importance changes.
Posted via Mobile Device