Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Innexpensive way to start dethatching?

Hey folks,

I'm wanting to try some dethatching but don't want to go buy a $3000 piece of equipment. I'm thinking a power-rake, but can't decide on a brand because I don't know much about them. I know Ryans are great but they are much too expensive. Any other brands I should check out that are reliable but not really fancy? I'm not going to be doing much at all.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to reconsider doing the dethatching thing... I used to do a lot of things like that when I started out but I don't even think that way any more...
What I did was go to the box store and got a pull behind dethatcher with a lawn sweeper attachment... That was to clean up the pine needles and expose the dirt again... I've since decided that the last thing I want in a lawn,,, is to see the dirt...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You might want to reconsider doing the dethatching thing... I used to do a lot of things like that when I started out but I don't even think that way any more...
What I did was go to the box store and got a pull behind dethatcher with a lawn sweeper attachment... That was to clean up the pine needles and expose the dirt again... I've since decided that the last thing I want in a lawn,,, is to see the dirt...
We do a lot of really nice lawns and overseed in the fall. Removing the dead material and exposing some soil makes an enormous difference in the way the fescue seed germinates. Not wanting to rake up pine needles and leaves, I actually want to remove the thatch. Or just bring it to the surface so we can pick it up with a walker mower. The pull behinds work decently for Bermuda grass on places that aren't super nice, but I'm needing more clean and thorough results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So your process is to open up the ground in the Fall, for a seeding of fescue for the winter...
Try to rent a verti-cut or even a slit seeder, if you don't want a power rake... if this is a common practice in your area the local Rental Place should have something to experiment with... that is how I aquaint myself with various machines I need...
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what I would do is rent one if you don't have a lot of dethaching to do,and if you do,try to plan accordingly and do a few yards with the rental,I have a dethacher its an x mark works great only used a few dozen times and its expensive,I usually don't dethach when I overseed,I just scalp the Bermuda down to about an inch or less,mow again to suck everything out expose the dirt and spread rye seed,set the sprinklers for 3-5 times a day for about 5-8 min and viola beautiful green lawns all winter
Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Heres a secret...check Home Depot and see if they have one that is a rental that they are selling. I got my bluebird there that was used 1 time with the Honda engine for $392. Not sure if you are verticutting or just dethatching?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billscaping View Post
That's what I would do is rent one if you don't have a lot of dethaching to do,and if you do,try to plan accordingly and do a few yards with the rental,I have a dethacher its an x mark works great only used a few dozen times and its expensive,I usually don't dethach when I overseed,I just scalp the Bermuda down to about an inch or less,mow again to suck everything out expose the dirt and spread rye seed,set the sprinklers for 3-5 times a day for about 5-8 min and viola beautiful green lawns all winter
Do you cut your Bermuda with a reel and what HOC are you mowing at
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 2 yards the last guy used a reel,I have one but don't use it,I told the 2 customers when I got them I don't have a reel mower I can put the 21 Honda way low and if you like it then that's how I'll do it if not I'm sorry you'll have to find another company,well 8 years later there still with me,I don't scalp with a reel,and pardon me but I've only been Doin this for 20 yrs,what is HOC, the height? We start in feb march cutting maybe 2 inches tall then it grows so fast by sept it's 3-4 inches tall,maybe by aug we start raising the mowers a knotch