Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Had my truck and trailer stolen today

Main reasons for posting this is let everyone that thinks it could never happen to you please think twice.
I was by myself today gave the help a day off (yards are burning up). I was mowing a property that had 8 duplexes and have been mowing it for 7 plus years didn't think much of it so I did what I always do rolled the windows up (windows are tinted) and left the keys in the ignition . Got it mowed and trimmed and as I'm blowing off sidewalks a tenant comes around the corner and says someone just stole your truck. Truck, Trailer, Equipment gone!!! only thing I had to my name at this point was a backpack blower. Police were called and Luckily the manager at the next door apartment complex saw this and jumped in his truck to try and chase them down, he had no luck spotting them. As I'm talking to the police I get a call from a near by cemetery saying there was a guy that parked your truck and trailer and took off, is it stolen? I told him yes and he tried to chase him down but he got in a suv and got away. I don't know if he got spooked or what happen that made him ditch the truck close by and run off. Everything was accounted for execpt he took the keys to the truck. Chances of catching him slim but I could of saved everyone the trouble by locking up my truck.

Normally I would read this and think ahh I know my area's good enough I know when I should lock my doors and when not to, but now I've learned my lesson and locking the doors and taking the keys with me on every stop is what I will be doing from now on. As we give our friendly waves to each other on the road, this is just my friendly wave to everyone in this business it could happen anytime just beware.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly 9 times out of 10 my keys are left in the ignition. Sometimes I'll toss them in the bed of the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty ballsy to steal a truck and trailer full of equipment in the daytime. I hope they catch the guy(s) that did it.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the thief planned on coming back later to get the truck, and that's why he took the keys. Just a guess. I never leave keys in. Never. A husband and wife team in town had their whole rig stolen from a sonic they were cutting. He didn't get it back. He left the keys in. Lawn trucks are targets these days. I keep my trimmer and blower locked inside my truck when i'm cutting.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to have my keys on me when I mow because there's always a chance of losing them. A simple hidden "kill" (toggle) switch hidden under the dash (or other place) will usually assure no one will be leaving in your truck even if the keys are left in it.

Of course, taking the keys is probably a little safer. If you really want to be safe, do both....mowers too.
My .02
Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I keep my keys on a lanyard hooked to my belt with a tiny caribiner. Its long enough to drive with and too short to hit the ground if I drop them. One of the key fobs to my alarm is tied in to the base of it, so its really easy to lock and unlock the truck without digging in my pockets. I only use it while working when I'm in and out so often.

An aftermarket alarm with an ignition and starter kill is really worth it. If its installed right, it won't start with the key while armed, goes off if the doors are opened or if there is an impact to the vehicle. I'd imagine a shop would charge 140 and up for something good. There are a lot of crap brands out there. And a dual stage shock sensor is a must. The sensitivity is adjustable and it gives a warning chirp if something bumps it and a full trigger if its hit hard. not the ones that go off when a trash truck drives by. It is also possible to install motion sensors and pin switches for tailgates and tool boxes.
I installed car audio and security for about 11 years before I sold off my business and went full time into lawn care. If your interested in going that route, feel free to ask all the questions you want. Or if you need a wiring diagram for a vehicle and want to try to install one your self I still have access to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Someone tried to take my complete rig earlier that year too. Fortunately, the keys were not in the ignition. The windows were down though and he was in my truck. As I came around from the back of the house him and his partner in crime took off as soon as they saw me.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad you got your truck back.

I grew up in the fifties and sixties, and we never took the keys out of a car. When I met my wife, she was amazed at that. Her Dad died when she and her twin sister were 12 so it was a houseful of ladies that were probably a little scared, so they locked up everything like Fort Knox.

As a result I lock everything all the time even though I live in the boonies.

I was mowing at a Church about five years ago and the parking lot was totally empty so I parked right out in the middle because it was easy to deal with the trailer. A couple of suspicious looking kids kept circling the block, apparently trying to catch me on the other side of the building, so they could steel something.

Even though everything was locked up tight I kept a close eye on them. I didn't notice until I got home that the hubcaps from the far side of the truck were gone. They were small aluminum caps on aftermarket wheels that were attached with Allen screws. It took some sneaking and some work to get them off. It was almost as if they did it for spite since I had the audacity to lock everything up leaving them nothing to steal.

Larry
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had that happen to me about 6 weeks ago, I hadn't been out of the truck 3 minutes, started trimming....looked up, and it was gone! I jumped in front of a car driving down the street and had her call 911...the officer got there within 10 minutes..luckily I had left my wallet and I-phone under my seat, I called my wife with the officers phone, she GPS'd my phone and they found my truck 20 blocks away rammed up in the brush, still running... Trailer and mowers were gone! Got the trailer back the next day, damaged, but no mowers!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also hate carrying my keys around with me while at a clients house. I always take the keys out of the ignition and put them either in the corner of the bed (which always has grass clippings in it) and toss a hand full of grass over them, or hide them under one of the straps on the trailer deck (I tie my equipment down) or if the tail gate is down, I simply put them on the bumper of the truck, thus hiding them from sight.

The only thing I worry about is my blower being stolen. I dont have a locking holder for it yet. Its on the list of winter projects though.

Glad you got your equipment back. Too bad you wont get any time with the perps to "show your thanks" for ditching it close by.