Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same old question

Ok I know this has probably been asked 100 times here and I did some searches and still couldn't find what I'm looking for... So everything I have learned/been taught says when wont
Winterizing, not to hook up before the vacuum breaker. Most of the setup so see, have the main Comming from the structure, with a tee that has a plug on one end, then stubbed up to the vacuum breaker... So there is no other connection for a compressor hose other than that hookup before the vacuum breaker, is that ok? Also I know to leave the 2 test cocks and both valves open to 45, but why 45, and not fully open?

Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no, not really...that just shows that whoever installed it doesn't know the correct way to install a backflow and blowout port...they might as well have not put in a blowout port and just blown out through the #1 test ****...basically blowing that much pressure and volume (CFM) of air through a backflow device is not good for it...yes the backflow device needs to be blown out, but not for the entire system, just a little to get the water out and not usually at full pressure
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
no, not really...that just shows that whoever installed it doesn't know the correct way to install a backflow and blowout port...they might as well have not put in a blowout port and just blown out through the #1 test ****...basically blowing that much pressure and volume (CFM) of air through a backflow device is not good for it...yes the backflow device needs to be blown out, but not for the entire system, just a little to get the water out and not usually at full pressure
I figured you shouldn't be blowing through the BF, but what about the systems that are setup this way when you get on site and have been done this way for years? Keep doing it that way? Also if it is setup this way, what type of pressure would you recommend using when hooking up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ha, the one time my language wasn't inappropriate...

i never quite understood the 45 degree thing...i understand you don't want both of the ball valves shut, but why they don't say to completely shut one and keep one open is beyond me, but i'm sure there is a good reason...my reasoning is, if you shut the one closest to the water supply then you know for a fact that the water source isn't leaking, like a gate or angle valve for example...
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would keep blowing out that way because it wasn't MY install, so it's not my fault if anything goes wrong...i would probably recommend getting it set up correctly, but are they willing to pay for it, do you have the time (blowout season is usually very pressed), and you would have to let the glue dry so it would probably be a next day blowout...

usually most systems should be blown out between 60-80 psi, and obviously a compressor with at least 100 cfm...i've known people to use full pressure and have literally watched them blow heads out of the ground...it also depends on how big of a system you are doing, i'm speaking of mostly 1" residential

Last edited by jbell36; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
ha, the one time my language wasn't inappropriate...

i never quite understood the 45 degree thing...i understand you don't want both of the ball valves shut, but why they don't say to completely shut one and keep one open is beyond me, but i'm sure there is a good reason...my reasoning is, if you shut the one closest to the water supply then you know for a fact that the water source isn't leaking, like a gate or angle valve for example...
The 45 degree thing is so water dosnt get trapped behind a fully open or fully closed BV . As far as blowing thru it there is nothing wrong with that. It will not harm a PVB . I do it 900 times a yr for yrs on end. Never had even 1 problem caused by it.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the 45-degree thing should be done with the testcocks, too, although I don't leave them that way after winterizing
Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
The 45 degree thing is so water dosnt get trapped behind a fully open or fully closed BV . As far as blowing thru it there is nothing wrong with that. It will not harm a PVB . I do it 900 times a yr for yrs on end. Never had even 1 problem caused by it.
we deal with double checks in the ground 99% of the time as far as backflows go, not PVB's...i've been told it can harm both checks, wear them out to the point of failure (which you will find out during spring backflow testing)...i've definitely tested some failing backflows and most that i can think of don't have a blowout port, so i would assume it does cause damage...sometimes it's also hard to get the volume of air that you need through a test ****...or testcock

all that being said, i'm not saying it's 100% wrong, so i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong necessarily, this is just how i was taught
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
the 45-degree thing should be done with the testcocks, too, although I don't leave them that way after winterizing
yeah that's how i learned, everything at 45 degrees
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
yeah that's how i learned, everything at 45 degrees
And leave the ball valves at a 45 through the winter to take any expansion should water be left in the backflow. We never ran the compressor through backflow, used a bicycle pump instead to avoid warping the checks/retainers.