Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 AM
rescuedlawn rescuedlawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Central VA
Posts: 82
Gas for 2 cyc issues?

Does anyone else have issues with gas/oil mixes for 2 cycle equipment? I have been running Amsoil as an oil mix but had to take my stuff to the shop 2 times this year. Last one cost me $72 to get my trimmer fixed. Any sugestions? should I start using 90 octane gas or different oil mix or both?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM
RussellB RussellB is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 3,260
I run all of my 2 strokes wide open. prevents the carbon build up. I have had zero issues in years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Toro 455 Toro 455 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sabina oh
Posts: 238
Well? What was wrong with the stuff? Was it an oil related problem? Fouled plugs? Carbon in the exhaust?

What ratio did you use for the oil mix? What it says on the Amsoil bottle? Or did you get "generous"?

What brand of trimmer? What model?

We need more information.

OH! BTW, I used to have 2-cycle problems. Before I started using synthetic 2-cycle oil. But for the past 20 years it's been OK.
And you use the octane listed in the owners manual. Pretty much always 87.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 AM
rreyn1812's Avatar
rreyn1812 rreyn1812 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 444
Handheld gas/oil problems

Used to have a lot of gas/oil/carb related problems in my Stihl trimmers. I've always used a good synthetic oil, but used to use ethanol gas. I changed to Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil & use 89 octane non-ethanol gas and the equipment runs much better and I haven't had a problem since. Some locations may not have non-ethanol gas available, but if you can find it, use it. If it's not available at all, then consider the new gas/oil mixes sold in a can. The higher cost of the gas/oil mix could be offset by less repairs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM
windflower windflower is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: wilmington nc
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Used to have a lot of gas/oil/carb related problems in my Stihl trimmers. I've always used a good synthetic oil, but used to use ethanol gas. I changed to Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil & use 89 octane non-ethanol gas and the equipment runs much better and I haven't had a problem since. Some locations may not have non-ethanol gas available, but if you can find it, use it. If it's not available at all, then consider the new gas/oil mixes sold in a can. The higher cost of the gas/oil mix could be offset by less repairs.
So true! Haven't had any more issues since using pure gasoline.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Vecchio Lawn Care's Avatar
Vecchio Lawn Care Vecchio Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 615
Gas for 2 cyc issues?

I run my echo stuff 50:1 with 87 ethanol unleaded gas. I got a old srm-210 and it still runs like a top.
__________________
19 Years Old

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Well? What was wrong with the stuff? Was it an oil related problem? Fouled plugs? Carbon in the exhaust?

What ratio did you use for the oil mix? What it says on the Amsoil bottle? Or did you get "generous"?

What brand of trimmer? What model?

We need more information.

OH! BTW, I used to have 2-cycle problems. Before I started using synthetic 2-cycle oil. But for the past 20 years it's been OK.
And you use the octane listed in the owners manual. Pretty much always 87.
I agree with the rest of your post, so I'm not trying to pick on it, but this line caught my eye.

I've never had any manual that recommended less than 89 octane. Many here will tell others that 89's what they recommend, but if you read the manual it says minimum 89 octane.

I run 92-94 octane ethanol gas (that's all we have around here), Saber at 80:1, and have yet to have a problem with any handheld I own, and that's quite a few.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM
WayneJessie WayneJessie is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 168
I drive 15 miles to buy gas from a store that sells 100% gas with 93 octane. I also have used Amsoil for about 10yrs with absolutely no issues with any of my 2-stroke stuff. I don't run it at 100:1; usually around 75:1. There are plenty of good oils out there besides Amsoil but it has worked well for me so I stay with it. I run em wide open too. Part throttle and petting a 2-stroke is no way to run an engine designed to run wide open. An old trucker told me running a 2-stroke engine requires you to slam you hand in a door before you operate it and blame it on the engine. Then you'll run it like it should be run. He ran an old Detroit Diesel 2-stroke truck for years.

Last edited by WayneJessie; 09-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM
MBDiagMan MBDiagMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 669
I have had no issues since I started using nothing but 93 octane and the Stihl brand Premium oil in the silver bottle. This oil has gas stabilizer as an ingredient.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM
rescuedlawn rescuedlawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Central VA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I agree with the rest of your post, so I'm not trying to pick on it, but this line caught my eye.

I've never had any manual that recommended less than 89 octane. Many here will tell others that 89's what they recommend, but if you read the manual it says minimum 89 octane.

I run 92-94 octane ethanol gas (that's all we have around here), Saber at 80:1, and have yet to have a problem with any handheld I own, and that's quite a few.
I have been running 87 with ethanol and used saber 100:1 but mixed it 50:1.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.10335 seconds with 9 queries