Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

My boss is getting suspicious!

I work in a totally un related field to the mowing industry. As I continue to get my mowing business off the ground while keeping my current job my boss keeps trying to ask a bunch of questions ! It's almost like he thinks I'm cheating on him LOL. I'm just in the planning stages currently, getting things gathered up such as equipment, and advertising and such. I'm almost afraid that when the cat gets outa the bag I may be faced with an ultimatum. My boss may make me choose or he may choose for me. my current plans are to keep my full time job while the business grows. I have my father who is semi retired to mow accounts that cant wait till evening or Saturdays. Is there any of you guys ever faced a similar situation? if so how did you handle it?
Husqvarna 14" chain saw
Husqvarna 16" chain saw
Husqvarna back pack blower
Polan 14" chain saw
2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd
Single axel trailer with mesh side walls and lift gate
2 back up riding tractors

QuickBooks Pro business software
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop talking or doing anything other then your job while you're on his dime.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Be honest with your old boss. Answer his questions honestly and frankly. Don't apologize for starting a business. Show confidence without arrogance and he'll have nothing to be suspicious of. He may want to know what he's dealing with.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are bringing it up at work, it comes under the NUNYA heading. Employers don't need an excuse to replace you and if you were him, would you wait for the other shoe to drop?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe he doesnt like you because you own a poulan chainsaw!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see how you are cheating on him, by concentrating on an affair other than the one you were hired for you are not putting in the whole potential he's paying you for and that cheats your employer out of part of his business' wages, yet another reason why you either run your own business or you work for someone else, one or the other but not both.

Once you start out on your own you don't get to hang on to Mamma's skirt, doesn't work that way, if everyone could just "hold on to their full time job" while "things get going" wouldn't that be peachy. Heck for all that why even show up for work, just go collect your paycheck every two weeks and work on "getting things going," why even bother pretending, just for show, take the money outright already.

No sir, the way it works is you put in your time, 100 percent of it, working for someone else.
And you save your money, for however long.
Once you have enough, you can then start out on your own.

Last edited by herler; 09-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I still had a regular job I used the companies printer and computer to download and print manuals. It did get kind of tense.

As long as you show up to your job I wouldn't worry about it much, and don't use the bosses printer.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I see how you are cheating on him, by concentrating on an affair other than the one you were hired for you are not putting in the whole potential he's paying you for and that cheats your employer out of part of his business' wages, yet another reason why you either run your own business or you work for someone else, one or the other but not both.

Once you start out on your own you don't get to hang on to Mamma's skirt, doesn't work that way, if everyone could just "hold on to their full time job" while "things get going" wouldn't that be peachy. Heck for all that why even show up for work, just go collect your paycheck every two weeks and work on "getting things going," why even bother pretending, just for show, take the money outright already.

No sir, the way it works is you put in your time, 100 percent of it, working for someone else.
And you save your money, for however long.
Once you have enough, you can then start out on your own.
This is absolute garbage. Sorry, doesn't work that way not everyone can save enough at their current jobs to save up for the equipment they need and a years worth of salary to just up and quit a job.

100% of your time when working for someone else???? F that. My obligation begins and ends with the time clock. I wouldn't expect any of the employees I have had in the past, or the ones I hope to have in the future, to do any different. When I punch out at my real job, that's the last I think about it till the next day.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fake it till ya make it
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe it's any of your employer's business what you do on your own time but unfortunately many employer's don't think that way. Like drugs and alcohol, working a second job means to them that you can't give them 100%. Some employers will even make you sign an agreement not to have any other job. It may also concern them that at some point you may quit to pursue your own business. If you receive benefits through your employer, often risky (as compared to the work you do for your employer) after work activities will raise eyebrows with the insurance carrier and could be a reason for them to increase what your employer pays. I could see that possibly happening with doing something like tree work.

So I believe the best policy is to keep your mouth shut about what you do with your own time.

Last edited by CL&T; 09-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.